Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building #11  
To piggy back on this post, I have a question since sealer is mentioned. My barn 30*50 has some surface rust appearing on the roof tin in some spots. I don't feel comfortable walking on the roof because of the age, method of construction with rough-cut lumber underneath. I am considering the silver mobile-home roof sealer to stave off a couple of small leaks I already have and to further protect/preserve the rest. I am considering applying it with a rented man-lift and a long handled roller. Would this be an effective fix since I cannot see how I could do any real prep work to the existing surface rust?

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building
You might try asking the manufacturer what they recommend .....I personally would think that would work, but if the paint stuff is expensive, I wouldn`t take a chance......I agree about the walking around, but the contractor who is going to do mine seemed perfectly comfortable walking around...I would rather get some ply wood, and slide that around when I was working.......For me the contractor is the way to go...Tony

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building #13  
I got the bid today..Seven thousand for the removal and replacement with new metal...I think #26, maybe #24...The contractor thought four five days for him....and I think longer myself......Do you guys think I should get him (for additional cost) to apply the silver paint with fiber in it? Tony ps he said the material was around thirty five hundred..

Tony,

I don't think he's lying about the price of the metal. I just called and priced 26 ga. galvalume @ 1.89 a foot. On a 60' span each side the pieces should be about 32'. So 1.89 x 32 = $61.00 per sheet. It will take 54 sheets to cover the roof. 61.00x 54 = 3294.00 x 6% tax, puts the total right at $3500.

We had our fire hall reroofed last spring and it cost $7900.00 and it's about the same size as the building your talking about. We bid this out and went with the company that had the higher bid by $200.00, but had workers comp insurance. We did have new gutters put on and two new windows put in, so I think your quote of $7000.00 is about right.

Chris

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building
Thanks Chris....Thorough evaluation :) Tony