Thoughts on tilt trailers with aluminum deck?

/ Thoughts on tilt trailers with aluminum deck? #1  

NonTypicalCPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940
I’m in the market for a new 20’ trailer for my Kubota L6060. It gets moved a handful of times a year. I’m leaning towards an aluminum trailer this time, and I like the looks and longevity of an aluminum deck. I’m also considering a full tilt on this one. Is an aluminum deck really more dangerous than a wood deck? How about if I go with a full tilt trailer?

/ Thoughts on tilt trailers with aluminum deck? #2  
I have a 4' fixed, 18' tilt aluminum deck 14K aluminum trailer. I move my compact tractor, mini-excavator, 275 gallon totes, gas powered sprayer...

I need to be careful to limit scratchig the aluminum deck, using cribbing...

Being careful, I don't find it too slippering.

/ Thoughts on tilt trailers with aluminum deck? #3  
I wouldn’t buy a full tilt unless you literally never haul a spare implement. You need a flat at the front to load stuff on.

/ Thoughts on tilt trailers with aluminum deck? #4  

I also would be reluctant to trust aluminum for moving heavy weight, not because it’s inferior in any way, but aluminum does require a higher level of engineering to get the desirable reliability.

Aluminum trailers tend to be fragile and not a great candidate from back yard welders.

I have both aluminum and steel trailers. Aluminum snowmobile trailer has been very reliable, except for the steel subframe for the axles rusted away. Aluminum PWC trailer no problems. Aluminum offshore boat trailer fine AFTER the manufacturer trained their fabricators switching over from steel to aluminum. Aluminum equipment trailer minor cracked weld. Hot dipped galvanized steel dump trailer no problem. Steel snowmobile (road salt) boat trailers (salt water) rusted big time fast.

So...both steel and aluminum have plus and minuses. My aluminum tilt equipment trailer is doing well,,,I'd buy it again.