Three point hitch slow leak down and hiccups when in use

/ Three point hitch slow leak down and hiccups when in use
I deal with a lot of mechanical engineering at my work and all they know is a little auto-cad and can barely do that without making mistakes. You would think with all the technology we have these days the new service manuals would be something worth looking at but sometimes they make things more complicated than they are. Like removing a cab when you don’t really have to. I appreciate all the feedback and it seems I have a little work ahead of me but I do enjoy wrenching so it should be a fun little adventure getting the little tractor back to 100% mechanically sound

/ Three point hitch slow leak down and hiccups when in use #22  
If you work with a lot of MEs, my guess is that there are a few who are good at sketching and at home in the machine shop....or has that era passed?

Getting back to your very first post & how long it takes the arms to drop. IMHO, they should stay up for hours, if not days. But tractor designers take a different view. Somewhere in most service manuals there is a specification for an acceptable rate of 3pt arm drop. At least it used to be a common spec. Probably there for warranty claims.

Some of the acceptable limits surprised me with how fast the arm can drop and still pass specs. I don't know if I've seen one where all the way in ten minutes was in spec, but some are close. I'd be curious about the range.
rScotty

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed response. Yeah, some of the old timers I worked with did their designs by hand back in the day but since I have been working it’s all done on autocad.

My old tractor stayed up for what seemed indefinitely when I did have it in the up position after accidentally leaving it up when parked without any implement on it. I have been trying to find a service/repair manual for the dk55 for weeks now. Both local dealers can’t seem to get one and all the online digital versions look sketchy, seen a couple on eBay but they are asking triple the repair cost. Is there anyone that might have one on here that could pdf just the pages I need or something? Would be even willing to pay a little.

/ Three point hitch slow leak down and hiccups when in use #24  
If you work with a lot of MEs, my guess is that there are a few who are good at sketching and at home in the machine shop....or has that era passed?

Getting back to your very first post & how long it takes the arms to drop. IMHO, they should stay up for hours, if not days. But tractor designers take a different view. Somewhere in most service manuals there is a specification for an acceptable rate of 3pt arm drop. At least it used to be a common spec. Probably there for warranty claims.

Some of the acceptable limits surprised me with how fast the arm can drop and still pass specs. I don't know if I've seen one where all the way in ten minutes was in spec, but some are close. I'd be curious about the range.
rScotty
Scotty I think it depends on the tractor. And I may change this statement at the end of this post! I have a six hundred ford. Cut it off with the disk up and five minutes later and it has leaked down. I’m fine with it. My neighbor has a 240 international and he can turn his off with the disk up and two days later. It’s exactly like he left it. Now I want to change my opening statement. I know it’s a differences in tractors. It’s the way they are made

Mike, I agree that every tractor brand is different and has different specs but while in operation it should not be hopping up to compensate for the leak down

/ Three point hitch slow leak down and hiccups when in use #26  
Mike, I agree that every tractor brand is different and has different specs but while in operation it should not be hopping up to compensate for the leak down
Stewart my I totally agree. I read what I’m thinking sometimes. I missed that part and I’ve never had one do that. I consider myself better than average at hydraulic problems.