Tiller & live PTO - SWEET!

/ Tiller & live PTO - SWEET! #1  

Bill_BX23

Tractor
Kubota BX23 (2005)
OK, I went from a B6100E with gear drive & dead PTO (non-live?) to a BX23 I've had for 6 days. I tilled the garden today for the first time with the tiller on the new tractor and am in heaven. On the B6100E it was a pain in the butt trying to match travel speed to soil conditions. Most of the time I had to go over it 2 or 3 times (so I like the final result to be like talcum powder).

With the new BX23, it was a pleasure starting up the PTO, then moving the tractor along as I needed it (until one of the 3PH lift arm pins fell out and got buried somewhere).

By the way:
Woods GTC40 (40") tiller I purchased new last March for $985 from my local Woods dealer.

Bill.
Euharlee, Georgia

/ Tiller & live PTO - SWEET! #2  
I am glad to hear that, as that is one of the items I want for my new rig, if I ever get home to use it.

The sales man was wanting to know what size I wanted, 42 inch or 48, as of now, I am thinking 42, but may think bigger, based on the info you gave about the BX 23's power.

What are you planting now that you got the soil ready?

/ Tiller & live PTO - SWEET! #3  
Bill,

Another thing to check is the shield that protects the PTO, when they get loose, and fall off the tiller it tears the shield up pretty good. Do NOT ask how I know this. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Have fun with your new tiller. I have a FC 48 inch unit, works great too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tiller & live PTO - SWEET!
I originally bought the 40" tiller to go on my B6100E which is only 14hp. It worked fine, power wise, except I had to add 165 pounds worth of suitcase weights on the front.

The BX has no problems at all running the tiller. The owner's manual page 13 suggests a maximum 42" tilling width with a maximum 375 pound tiller. You might want to test drive the 48" tiller but I don't think you will have too many problems. If it is too heavy, you may have to add weight up front.

Of course I'm going to plant tomatos (Better Boys & Sweet 100s), Red & Yellow Bell peppers, hot peppers, maybe some cucumbers, going to try some onions, and beyond that I'll have to think about it. My father-in-law used to plant a huge (2 acre) garden, but he passed away last year and I don't expect much out of the garden this year (although I will help my mother-in-law as much as possible - going to do a 2nd tilling tomorrow and lay it off in rows).

Bill.

/ Tiller & live PTO - SWEET! #5  
Thanks for the info, I guess that's why the dealer, said he would get me thte 42 inch one.