Tilt trailer

/ Tilt trailer #1  

msmith

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Powerstar 75
I was wanting a small trailer to haul my Polaris Ranger on. The smallest thing I had that would work was my 12k dump trailer and it is a bit bulky for the load. After looking around and not seeing anything that was of decent quality or of a price I was willing to pay, I decided to piece one together. Since I don't like the ones with folding ramps (those things can be heavy and toe mashers), I settled on making it a tilt.

Here it is getting the deck put on.

IMG_0393.jpg

Here is a better pic of the Harbor Freight hydraulic cylinder. I never pump it. I valve it off then stand on the back to tilt it, then open the valve to let it down.

IMG_0438.jpg

Here it is in action

IMG_0443.jpg

/ Tilt trailer #2  
Nice build, looks good! I have one very similar ( 6x10) but no cylinder on the front. Mine is balanced pretty good so it will stay tilted until I can load quads, mower, or whatever??? Also added wood sides and tailgate to haul firewood.

/ Tilt trailer #3  
That cylinder wouldn't pump if you needed it to would it? Because the pump lever is on top and not on the bottom. Or does it work? Have you ever tried to pump it?

413676d1424736594-tilt-trailer-img_0438-jpg

/ Tilt trailer
Yes, it does work if needed. You can't tell by the pic, but it is angled up enough the the handle clears. I was going to balance mine enough to not need the cylinder, but I decided to make sure I had enough tongue weight without having to worry about how I loaded it, to prevent trailer sway. I borrowed one that was very well balanced and worked really well, but I had to back my Ranger on to get enough tongue weight or it would sway at highway speeds.