Buying Advice Time for an upgrade

/ Time for an upgrade #1  

Jamie327

Tractor
Deere 445
Hi All. I guess I've been a long time lurker on here since when I tried to login apparently I never setup an account. I'm looking for some advice on what I should do as far as upgrading what's in my barn.

I just moved to a new house on 2 acres here in central NJ and am finding I have a need for a bit more than my old Deere 445 will allow me to do. The 445 is fitted with a 60" mulching deck and has primarily been a mower for the past 5-6 years, but two houses ago it was also my goto for clearing snow as well. And now that I have a decent size driveway again, I need something that will help me there. Also looking for something with a front bucket and backhoe to do some gardening and landscaping chores.

My initial thinking is to look toward a BX23 with 60" MMM, but I'm a little afraid the slight increase in size of tractor will make mowing a bit more challenging. The yard is pretty flat, except for the septic mound, so I'm not too worried about that, but there are a lot of trees and planting beds that are tolerable with the 445 but might become annoying with something larger. So I'm curious about the group's thoughts on mowing with a BX with all other implements removed.

Second option I'm thinking about is buying an older BX24 and maybe a separate zero turn mower. I'd honestly prefer to keep this to one purchase and one piece of equipment, primarily due to the need to store multiple tractors, but if mowing with the ZT will be markedly easier then I may go down that path. I'm not concerned with speed here, just agility, I guess.

Budget wise, the new BX23 and 60-month financing is extremely appealing. All in new, not including tax, I'm at about $21,100. I found a used BX24 nearby with just less than 400 hours for $12,000. If I can sell the 445 for a few bucks and pickup a decent used ZT for $3-4k I'm not too far off my new number for a BX23.

Just looking for some sane thought if you were in my shoes.

thanks!!

/ Time for an upgrade #2  
" I found a used BX24 nearby with less than 400 hours for $12,000."

If you want an FEL, that most useful of options, and have use for a Backhoe the BX24 + Zero Turn is the way to go. If you buy the BX24 and the Backhoe is mounted, be sure to get the Three Point Hitch components too, which will be separate.

Just be aware that ground clearance is only 9" on a BX.

BX is usually perfect for two acres.

Last edited:
   / Time for an upgrade #3  
I think a two machine approach would be best. You're not going to want to mow your lawn with a BX with loader and backhoe attached. It's too cumbersome.

My neighbor has a BX with loader/backhoe plus a John Deere X300 riding mower for his six acres and it seems to work well for him. The BX would be great for lifting stuff, moving material, and can be equipped with a snow blower and other implements.

I'd say go for the BX and get a riding mower or zero turn for the lawn. Many folks like the zero turns for their speed but I prefer riding mowers because I can pull a dump cart, aerator, seeder, etc, and they have a smoother ride.

Go for the two machine approach.

/ Time for an upgrade #4  
I have a question also please. I have tested all the other compact and sub compact tractors available with the exception of an ls.... Some but not all included several versions of each of the following ... Kioti, Kubota , John Deere, New Holland, Mahindra, Case, and Branson. I fell in love with the Branson 3520H. I don't really want to spend the money for any one of the 30+HP tractors though if say a Branson 2400h would do what I need. Can I get some opinions please. I will own 10 acres. The most I would use a box blade is 1 or 2 times a years on a driveway. About 8 acres consists of rolling hills of shin high thick grass. The only brush is less than an inch thick around some wood line that I would only need to clean up once and then keep maintained. Will the smaller tractor fit my needs? Even if I have to use a four foot rotary cutter going to 5 or 6 ft cutter wouldn't save that much time, although I would be cutting the rest every week or two. So thoughts?

/ Time for an upgrade #5  
I learned the hard way its better to have the right tools for the jobs you need to do.
I tried using one sub compact for 3 jobs. It turned into a major pita. I was always taking loader on or off, the mower was always in the way when not mowing, and the backhoe was underpowered more than i could stand. 2 years of spending time hooking and un hooking later sold all of it, bought a century (branson) tractor for light loader work and put a 3 ph finish mower on it to mow big open sections of yard. Then i got a small zero turn for tight spots and trimming. Then i found an old cheap jd 500 backhoe for dirt work.
Advantages: powerful backhoe (even if it leaks and complains while running), century mows nice, moves small stuff and clears snow well and is easy to operate and can lose mower in 3 pins and a pto easily, and ztr mows way easier than old compact.
Disadvantages: store, maintain way more stuff.

/ Time for an upgrade
Thanks for the advice everybody, lots to consider. Maybe I’ll find a good deal on a ZT toward the end of the season up here.

As for the BX24 I was considering, does that sound like a decent deal? 372 hours with fel and backhoe for $12k? Photo attached for reference.

D00CA3C0-B7D0-4742-B1B6-59E46D0C6557.jpeg

/ Time for an upgrade #8  
Being a used machine, its value all hinges on its condition. If well maintained, it will do virtually everything a comparable brand new one can do, albeit with slightly fewer "modern conveniences". The low hours are a plus, but it takes a hands-on inspection to judge. Just fyi, that model series featured Kubota's only use of plastic for the hòod and floor pan in place of metal. Mostly a matter of customer preference, but they went back to metal with the next generation.