Time for GC2300 to be put out to pasture. Maybe an MF1725?

/ Time for GC2300 to be put out to pasture. Maybe an MF1725? #1  

loulblades

Gold Member
Tractor
MF GC2300
To All,

Have been running this GC2300 for nearly 20 years and now I have convinced the treasurer it is time for a new one. We have some property along the river that I figure the 2300 has still got enough to maintain for at least awhile.

I have looked at multiple tractors including Mahindra, New Holland and JD but I keep coming back to Massey. Maybe it is just what I am used to, but with all the work I have done on this tractor maybe familiarity is the word.
I considered the 1723 but after sitting on the 1725 I liked the seat and layout better. I will only be purchasing the tractor and front loader, I don't need the backhoe or finish mower.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lou

BTW even though I am not getting the backhoe, I am trying to convince the dealer to sell to me with the folding ROPS. I like the space behind me and being able to pull into a lower garage.

/ Time for GC2300 to be put out to pasture. Maybe an MF1725?
Picked up a new GC 1725 on Friday. Not much different than the my old 2300 to operate but a few updates. I was able to have my dealer put on a used folding ROPS from a tractor that has the backhoe. I mowed with it yesterday and appreciated the seat comfort compared to my old 2300.

This thing must have a larger fuel tank (haven't checked that yet) or way better fuel mileage because I normally use a 1/4 or so tank to mow but it barely came off full.

I mentioned to my SO that it had cruise control, I think she thought that was one of funniest things she ever heard...a tractor having cruise control. She also mentioned something about me having another toy to play with ;).

Lou

/ Time for GC2300 to be put out to pasture. Maybe an MF1725? #3  
Congrats! There are definitely updates with these new models, the loader joystick location, tilting steering wheel, the flat/peace floor matt, and quite likely your old one doesn't have a SSQA loader like standard on the new ones.

Some people laugh at cruise control on a tractor, but here's a HUGE benefit I found...going up hills. I don't know if this is Massey specific or all HST trans, but on my GC I get so much pushback on the pedal when going up hills, my right knees starts hurting. So what I do now, I push that pedal down, lock the cruise control, and up I go w/o a care. I just hover my foot over the pedal in case I need to unlock it fast for some reason.

I did use the SSQA to remove the bucket for mowing. Although I do like the location of the FEL joystick I kept reaching for the old one. Takes time to teach an old dog a new trick.

One thing I am disappointed about is the lack of schematics in the manual (unless I am missing them). With all the safety notices, the user manual is about twice the size of my old one so maybe they decided to save some paper. I have a mod I built for my old tractor (but never implemented) and I need schematics to install it. Some quick searches make me think I need to buy the service manual.

Lou

/ Time for GC2300 to be put out to pasture. Maybe an MF1725? #5  
That's a nice upgrade; they've come far in ergonomics.

/ Time for GC2300 to be put out to pasture. Maybe an MF1725? #6  
I bought the workshop manual for my 1840M to get the schematics. AGCO pubs website is where I purchased mine.

/ Time for GC2300 to be put out to pasture. Maybe an MF1725? #7  
Get ballast for your loader. Might consider 3rd function for the loader if you think a grapple will be handy some day.

jeepcj7

II very seldom use the loader by itself. The rear k blade is usually on.

I did add a float lock for the 3pt.. When I am mowing with the the rear mower or tiller, I like the (well require) the 3pt to be able to float up and down. I used heavy duty dual sided tape because I am not sure that I want to put holes in the sheet metal. I will if the tape doesn't hold but it did for first mowing.

3pt Float Lock.jpg