Time to repay the other members - my 32 x 28 garage

/ Time to repay the other members - my 32 x 28 garage
Looking good!

I have a 24'x24' Gambriel "Shop" too, and it's great.

I`m about on the same steps as you, except for me it's re-do after 25 years of neglect by PO :laughing:

Can you get pictures from the inside looking out, and pictures of your ceiling?
I`m curious how you setup the floor joists, and if you used header boards above the garage door openings.

Hard to tell in the pics but is the 2nd story a true second story or just attic space? Looks almost too short to walk in? (Might be illusion). Either way that 2nd story will be awesome once you (and me) are done and can fully utilize it :D

I`ll be watching this thread for sure.

Let me know if you have any questions about my setup. :thumbsup:
We put a concrete slab out behind it for air compressor and air dryer, and I plan to add a 22' attached carport off the back to store stuff, and eventually my goal is to add a 3rd car / carport on one side.. *dreaming*

It's about 8 feet high in the center and about 2 1/2 feet at the sides. The inside pictures are a little fuzzy as it was a little dark out and when I took the pictures I hadn't done the wiring yet so no lights.

/ Time to repay the other members - my 32 x 28 garage #12  
Great looking barn, Al! That barn screams to be RED! maybe even white trim! Get it done on a technicality like, "well really it's not red, Honey, it's <______>" (some frilly name for RED) :laughing::laughing::thumbsup:

/ Time to repay the other members - my 32 x 28 garage #13  
Nice looking barn. I plan on having something similar built this fall. 32x48x12. I was told by one builder that I can get Gambrel Attic trusses that will span the 32' and have a completely open floor below.

What are your plans for the upstairs. It looks like it's going to be stout enough for elephants to dance up there. :D

Wedge

/ Time to repay the other members - my 32 x 28 garage #14  
Wow, crazy, that is nice! Man cave me hind leg, I could live in that thing! I was concerned about the low place at right rear, but I see you poured a concrete retaining wall that seems to be higher than the ground - I just have seen so many buildings lately that are too low, some even lower than ground, and are having real water problems. Looks like you took care of that though. Looking good!

After looking again: you poured the floor, put up rebar to hold concrete for bottom plates, then poured concrete inside the forms for bottom plate, right? So, a cold joint between the slab and concrete for plates? Anyway, you really got me to thinking on that one - I really like it! The concrete formed up high like that for the bottom plates.

Last edited:
   / Time to repay the other members - my 32 x 28 garage #15  
Al ,very nice.Same size as mine 28x32. but I don't have the gambrel roof,nice extra space up there:thumbsup:Dave

When I bought this land it came with a 16x30 hunting cabin that has been filled with all the stuff that's too good to throw out yet I couldn't fine room in the basement of the house I built. The sides of the garage don't really allow much room to work so my plan is to use the upstairs of the garage for storage so I can turn the cabin into a shop. We'll see how plans work out though. Currently 1/4 of the floor is open so I can put a 2 post car lift in but I can either fill it in with a raised floor since I have over 8 feet of headroom.

Nice looking barn. I plan on having something similar built this fall. 32x48x12. I was told by one builder that I can get Gambrel Attic trusses that will span the 32' and have a completely open floor below.

Wedge

The trusses were a little different to work with. They are more flexable than a regular truss until the plywood has been nailed down. I went with 5:12 and 20:12 pitches, I wanted at least 5:12 to help shed snow. I couldn't have gone any wider and still had the trusses made in one piece.

The trusses have a 2x6s on the inner part of the of them and 2x4's along the outside edge so I suspect that the inner part of the truss is more structual than a normal truss and if they came in two pieces it would be with the peak that got added on and not a left and right half. If your snow load isn't as high as mine you could get away with less of an upper pitch which would allow them to be wider.

I can say even though it's not done it's already too small, lol.

/ Time to repay the other members - my 32 x 28 garage #18  
Great job. I really enjoyed your pics and comments. Looks amazing.

I sure hope you paint it red, I cann't imagine any other color that would look as good.

Eddie