Backhoe tippy backhoe

/ tippy backhoe #1  

pifan

hi everyone i have a b-7100 backhoe i'm pretty new to tractors but do these narrow frame tractors feel tippier than they really are because mine feels real tippy when you go over uneven ground

also stupidity got the best of me thursday i barried it up to the frame in mud not experienced enough to get it out with the hoe so i used my pickup and about 40 feet of chain and didnt even take a picture

/ tippy backhoe #2  
pifan,
I think what you are referring to is "excessive pucker factor" /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. This is a condition that I suffer from as well /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.... from time to time. The truth is..... I never want this condition to go away. All CUTs can be "tippy". There are several rollovers every year. I always want to have that little fear of rollover to keep me from doing something stupid. It's when you get overconfident that you can get yourself in trouble.

Hope this helps,
Greg

/ tippy backhoe
yes greg mayby it is pucker factor but is there some way of knowing safe from pucker?

/ tippy backhoe #4  
"yes Greg maybe it is pucker factor but is there some way of knowing safe from pucker? "

If you don't have a tilt meter, perhaps you should get one. There's a link to R&B Mfg. on TBN somewhere....or do a search for tilt meter (forum search).

If your rear tires aren't filled...you might want to consider that although I have read here on TBN Kubota doesn't recommend filled tires with a back hoe.

The B7100 is a pretty small machine. Adding a 'hoe raises the center of gravity (GOG) considerably on a machine that is already a bit on the tippy side.

So, a tilt meter is the first thing to do. You may have to acclimate yourself to the feel of the machine. My first tractor, a Deere 670, felt very tippy. Once I installed the tilt meter, I found the slopes I was most nervous on were actually quite mild. But I didn't have all that weight of a back hoe behind me.

/ tippy backhoe #5  
I agree with what Roy said. I didn't mention a tilt meter in my first post, and I should have. I got one.... and I refer to it as a "reality check" for the "bubble in my head". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif There are times when I feel like I could go over and I am on about a 2 degree slope /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.... On the other hand, there have been a few times I've found myself over 10 when I wasn't expecting it. 15 degrees is the "redline" caution point. The other thing to remember is that if you are at 10 or 12, with a load, all it takes is a small pothole or rock to make things change very rapidly. Be sure to keep all your loads as low as possible.

I loaded the tires in my B7500 for some extra ballast. It probably helps a little.

Hope this helps,
Greg

/ tippy backhoe #6  
Pifan, with the hoe mounted it may be a good idea to set your rear wheels as wide as possible for saftey. Also, the advice on liquid fill for rear tires is good. Keep liquid level at no more then center of rear axle for max anti-tip help while keeping the rear wheel weight in check.

cheers,
keoke

/ tippy backhoe #7  
Good suggestions but I will add: Keep the front end loader as low as possible when moving around. That may seem obvious to some, but I had to learn that from the Operator's Manual and this forum.

Bill Tolle

/ tippy backhoe #8  
As a follow up...that back hoe should be left off unless you're actually going to do work with it. If you're just mowing, it pays to leave the loader off too.

I very rarely have my loader installed between Spring and Fall unless I have a task to use it.

/ tippy backhoe
usually i leave the hoe off i was going out to try and dig up a plugged tile i also added 150 # of wheel weights to the rear wheels when i take the hoe off i put on a 3 pt weight of about 300 lbs on it to take a little of the tippiness out of it i think most of it is in my head but better to be safe than sorry