Are you positive it's a snap ring like this

68008.jpg

and not like this?

SnapRing.jpg

If it's the latter you have to use a flat faced snap ring pliers like this

915-17T.jpg

15286Dscn4518.jpg

15286Dscn4519.jpg

Even if it is the two hole type of snap ring it might be possible to use a flat faced snap ring pliers to open it up if you can't get the tips on a regular snap ring pliers into the holes

I can see it better in the workshop manual and it is the convention outside 2 hole snap ring.

/ Tips on removing visually inaccessable external snap ring
Wow!!! I certainly wasn't expecting all the responses that I've received. Thanks, guys!

The snap ring is a 2-hole external snap ring. I'll give it another shot this afternoon. At the moment, the
mosquitoes are quite active. I got eaten alive a bit earlier while taking the dog out for it's morning
constitutional. If I can't get it off using the snap ring pliers, I'll try prying up one end with a pick, and
grabbing it with needle nose pliers. I do have a new one to put on when re-installing the shaft.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Hmmmmmm - explosives??:eek:

/ Tips on removing visually inaccessable external snap ring #13  
James, you found the GOODS!

Is that a "nut" that can unscrew?

Couple ideas requiring destruction of replaceable parts

1) Pry up the ring then with pliers tear it off, replace with a new one.
2) Cut/grind the plastic spacer off then you may have better access to snap ring.

No - that's actually the head of the shaft, with a threaded hole to accept a shaft extension.
The plastic spacer has to be relocated just behind the snap ring, and I don't have a spare,
so destroying the existing spacer is not an option.

"So the wide gray spacer in photo #2 is supposed to be to the right of the black linkage in photo #3? And that nut should be up against the white mounting bracket? And then you can put your mid PTO linkage into that hole in the nut on the end of the shaft? Makes you wonder how they ever expected to service that? Probably something simple. Have you asked the dealer how to get the snap ring out?

Can you get a mirror in there and get one pin of the pliers into it?"

Probably with great difficulty. That's probably why the spacer is where it is, instead of where it should have been!

"Here is the procedure, and if you look carefully you can see the outside conventional snap ring. They suggest you remove the right rear tire and the fender to get to it. Here is the picture and the procedure."

RIGHT!!!! :confused2: I'll get right on it - maybe later, when all else fails!!:D

Success!!!:thumbsup: Thanks for all the suggestions, and to MossRoad for his suggestion on the mirror
and removing the gold linkeage temporarily for better accesss! I had tried the mirror before but was
holding the mirror with one hand while trying to manipulate the pliers with the other. No Go, but I
managed to locate the mirror where it would set unattended, allowing me to use my steadiest hand
for the pliers, and I did also remove the gold linkeage for better access.

165023.jpg165006.jpg

TBNers come through again. Thanks.

/ Tips on removing visually inaccessable external snap ring #16  
Glad you got it..... I still hate snap rings... :laughing:

/ Tips on removing visually inaccessable external snap ring #17  
Success!!!:thumbsup: Thanks for all the suggestions, and to MossRoad for his suggestion on the mirror
and removing the gold linkeage temporarily for better accesss! I had tried the mirror before but was
holding the mirror with one hand while trying to manipulate the pliers with the other. No Go, but I
managed to locate the mirror where it would set unattended, allowing me to use my steadiest hand
for the pliers, and I did also remove the gold linkeage for better access.

View attachment 429238View attachment 429239

TBNers come through again. Thanks.

There is nothing like success.. Yeah I would think long and hard about removing that tire and fender too.. but that was what was in the manual. And I wanted to show the pix so you could be sure what was there. I am usually of the mind to try an unorthodox method, like the mirror trick instead of starting to take a whole bunch of things apart just to look at something. Especially with loaded tire weight to contend with.