tire opinion

/ tire opinion #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I just bought a used jd batwinf a week ago, and have been busy tinkering and getting my 1517 flexwing mower ready to cut with.

I notice it has what looks like used aricraft tires on it. I can also tell that they will need replacing rather soon. In the manual, i see that you have 3 tire options. It looks like you can get regular balloon tires, or the used aircraft tires on the same rim, or you can go to a laminated tire ( different rim obviously ). Anyone got any idea on prices? Is it any cheaper to convert over to laminated tires all around ( 6 tires ).. or just to go to regular inflated rubber? or U. aircraft again? I'm looking for cheapest option. I have no thorny brush or sharp objects at this point in my pasture.. at least nothing that has popped my tri-rib tractor front tires.. etc.

I'd like to get an idea on price before i hit my JD dealer.. that way i can be prepaired. Seems our 2 local dealers are the local 'scheisters'.. they seem to be 2x higher on everything they sell, compaired to every other 'color' in the city.

Also.. anyone put cheapy automotive tires on these?

My unit will see a little roading.. say.. 8 miles a month during cutting seasons.

Opinions?

thanks..

Soundguy

/ tire opinion #2  
I have the severe duty ag tires on my HX-15 batwing.

I would call around to the various tire shops and see what they have to offer. Used aircraft tires might not be as expensive as you think.

D.

/ tire opinion #3  
Go to a local airport (or two) and see if you can find some used aircraft tires that fit. They'll be much cheaper than any dealership product... maybe even free!

/ tire opinion #4  
I also read that aircraft tires hold up better on the road, just in case you have to pull the batwing somewhere with your truck.

/ tire opinion #5  
We had a customer when I was at Deere who mowed ditches along the highway all summer. He had 6400,6410's etc with 15m Deere mowers. He ALWAYS ordered aircraft tires becasue he says you never have to replace them. I never argue with people who have experience.

/ tire opinion #6  
I should also note that they come used in the first place. Even "new" they look worn out.

/ tire opinion #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Go to a local airport (or two) and see if you can find some used aircraft tires that fit. They'll be much cheaper than any dealership product... maybe even free! )</font>

Also look for military surplus. Navy fighter and attack aircraft tires are changed frequently. These tires are up to 26 ply (that's what the old F-4 Phantom tires were).

Even when I was in the Navy in the 60's and 70's, these used tires were sold for agricultural work since they were never retreaded.