tire school

/ tire school #11  
NH dealer told me today that NH 4wd tractors are set so that the front runs 5% faster than the rear.

Seems like a large differential (no pun intended) to me.

Jim

/ tire school #12  
Well, that's not too much, really. Some manufacturers do say that 0% to 5% lead is ok. Some even say that 0% isn't ok, that you need at least 1% lead. But they all agree that it must never be negative (lag). My L4310HST is set up at about 3.7% lead, but when I switch to the Michelin XM27's up front like the ones I have on the rear (but a different size, obviously), it'll be 0.3% lead. It'll be interesting to see if I can tell any difference. It should be easier to take in and out of 4wd, but I doubt I notice any other differences.

Mark

/ tire school #13  
Mark what is the overall wdith in the rear of your tractor with the michelins?? Do you have any trouble hooking up any other tools be side the backhoe? IM realy leaning to the same size that you are running the 19.5 but dont want any trouble hooking up the tiller or the winch. and just to recap the 19.5 and the 11LR16 will work toghther right??
thanks Rich

/ tire school #14  
Rich, I think it's right at 75", counting the sidewall bulges. The tread width is still just under 72", so a 6' box scraper will just cover the tracks if it's centered and I'm going straight. I'll try to remember to measure it tomorrow. I've got another lot to rough grade. I'm not looking forward to the 90+ they say the temp is going to be, though.

I've not had the slightest trouble with anything other than the backhoe. If you've got over 2" of clearance behind the tires with the implement, it'll be fine with the new tires. FWIW, the Freedom Hitch adds 4" or 5" of clearance, so I you use them, any clearance problems that you might have had on 3-point mounting implements go away.

Yes, the 19.5LR24's and 11LR16's are perfect matches, at least on the L-series HST's. You need to find out what the mechanical ratio between the front and rear axles is on the tractor you're looking at to be sure. Call Kubota to find out and let me know - then I can tell you for sure.

Mark

/ tire school #15  
This is the first time I saw a new set of Tractor Tires. I thought they were supposed to be cracked between the bars. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Seriously how long will Tractor Tires hold up if kept garaged when not being used?

Tractor tires seem to last a long time. Has anyone had to replace them that DID NOT do much highway driving?

/ tire school #16  
Richh, I ordered a set of Michelin XM27 11LR16's from your dealer up in Michigan this morning. Nice folks and a great price, too. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it! You saved me $70 per tire, even after I pay $15 each to ship them!

Mark

/ tire school #17  
Well let us know how those babbys work for you!! IM still waiting for the tractor. I thought I would try selling my 1910 on line here befor the new one comes but IM haven trouble getting the pitc. to load. Well IM going to go give it a shot.
RICH