Tires for Trailer or Truck?

/ Tires for Trailer or Truck? #11  
My dual wheel tandem gooseneck's tires looked brand new at six years old. Loaded the trailer with hay one day and headed home down the interstate. By the time I got home one tire had blown and the tread had come off another tire. I replaced all eight tires and left the best as the spare. A few weeks later the spare's tread had ruptured and separated from the carcass. This was on a tire that wasn't even touching the ground. Don't trust old tires even if they look new.

I used to keep the best old as a spare also. Had one let go after 2 miles when it had to be used and had 2 go while on the trailers spare mount just as you have. The first I was not home for but the second sounded like a shot gun.

As for trailer tire brands and American vs Chinese I have had the wost luck with Carsisle tires and Goodyear Marathons. I have had the best luck with Maxxis and Greenball trailer tires.

My last set of Goodyear Marathons on my car haul trailer had 2 let go hauling a Corvette, maybe 3,500# on my 1,500# trailer rated for 7,000# in under 1,000 miles. Never again will I buy Marathons.

Chris

/ Tires for Trailer or Truck?
Thanks for all the responses. I just never realized the importance of making sure your tires are no more than six years old. I always make sure I have the correct pressure and that the tire has good tread but was unaware of the problem with older tires. This is especially important for me as I carry some very heavy loads around the farm and sawmill with logs / lumber. I did a complete survey of all my trailers and trucks based on the DOT date code on the tires. Fortunately, my most used trailer the tri-axle log trailer / with log Metavic loader has good tires from 2007 & 2006.

Unfortunately the date code on the 4 workhouse tires in question have only three digits which I assume then makes them older than 2000? The code was DOT MXWYD FOD 294. If the last three digits are week and year then they could be 14 years old? If true then I will try to use them on an older firewood trailer I have that never leaves the property and can withstand a blow out behind a tractor. It is too bad as they appear from the outside as new but I am glad I found out now and not while I am going down the highway with a load. Thanks again for all your responses. This forum is great!

/ Tires for Trailer or Truck? #13  
Very interesting information....I used to think that you really only needed to be concerned about tires which were exposed to sunlight, causing them to oxidize and the sidewalls break down. In other words, you could easily see when a tire needed to be replaced by looking at the sidewall, even when the tread looked fine.

In the past, that seemed to be enough. Wow! I've been fortunate enough to have never had a problem. You've given me something to check on our trailers. Thanks again, TBN'ers!

GGB

/ Tires for Trailer or Truck? #14  
I mentioned I have had my fair share of tire failures, especially trailer tires. I have found bubbles and defects on the inside of what looked like good tires when they were removed from the rims.

Example. I bought the boat in my avatar in October 2004 brand new. It was a 2003 and had 3 6,000# axles with 225/75/15 tires on it made by Carlisle and were radials. I had 3 fail by July the following summer. It had less than 3,000 miles on it at this point and was not over loaded. Boat and trailer weight 15,600# and its sitting on 18,000# (3 6,000# axles) trailer. One tire was the spare that just blew up in the driveway. Good thing my kids were not standing close by.

When I checked the date code they were 2001 tires, all 7. I had them replaced and when they took off what looked to be the good ones all of them were failing internally. They were replaced with the same size and load rating using Greenball tires. Not one failure in 5 years now and well over 10,000 miles. They will be replaced this spring so I have no more surprises and torn up fenders or hydraulic brake lines. No fun towing home 15,000# plus over 100 miles with no brakes.

Chris

/ Tires for Trailer or Truck? #15  
The tires I had fail were Carlisle also. Was in RV KOA last week and there was a new RV parked and talking to the owner. He said the camper came with Carlisle and he would not sign papers until the dealer had put on Michlien. I tried to purchase rv tires from Michlien tire dealer said they don't make tires for this application. Anyone know why?
ken

/ Tires for Trailer or Truck? #16  
Thanks for the tire age info. I'm definitely way past pushing my luck on my truck's tires.

I have the original Firestone's on my 1999 F-250 with 35,000 miles on the truck and tires. It's going to cost me ~$1,200 for the Michelins I want including the spare; but that is still cheaper than a trip to the hospital. I keep the truck garaged, so it doesn't get the constant UV exposure; but there is atmospheric ozone that no doubt contributes to tire decay.

The wife has offered to buy me a set of tires, sounds like it's time to take her up on it.

/ Tires for Trailer or Truck? #17  
The tires I had fail were Carlisle also. Was in RV KOA last week and there was a new RV parked and talking to the owner. He said the camper came with Carlisle and he would not sign papers until the dealer had put on Michlien. I tried to purchase rv tires from Michlien tire dealer said they don't make tires for this application. Anyone know why?
ken
I have been around trailers and trailer tires for nearly 30 years and been dealing in trailers for over 20 and have never seen a trailer tire made by Michelin. Many will run LT (light truck) tires on trailers so maybe that is what they did????

Carlisle are the worst followed closely by Goodyear Marathons built in the last 5 years or so, they used to be good.

Chris

/ Tires for Trailer or Truck? #18  
I really wish Michelin would get in the trailer tire business.
I put Michelin XPS rib truck tires on my dump trailer after multiple chinese tire failures..
The tire capacity is slightly less than the chitires showed but I trust them infinitely more, zero problems so far:thumbsup:

/ Tires for Trailer or Truck? #19  
I have been around trailers and trailer tires for nearly 30 years and been dealing in trailers for over 20 and have never seen a trailer tire made by Michelin. Many will run LT (light truck) tires on trailers so maybe that is what they did????

Carlisle are the worst followed closely by Goodyear Marathons built in the last 5 years or so, they used to be good.

Chris
One dealer said needed to go to 16 or 16.5 in to get type for trailer But Michlien still didn't carry ST type. Just wondered why with so many using regular truck tires for trailer application
Thanks for the reply

/ Tires for Trailer or Truck? #20  
One dealer said needed to go to 16 or 16.5 in to get type for trailer But Michlien still didn't carry ST type. Just wondered why with so many using regular truck tires for trailer application
Thanks for the reply

Truck and car tires are held to a higher standard by the DOT so the processes and materials used in them are of better quality. I have found on my trailers to go one load range higher and I never have issues. This can not always be done but I try. Example if it came with 4 load range C tires I put 4 load range D tires on it when its time to replace. Now you are not running at the ragged edge on weight but maybe 75% of the rating.

Chris