Tires - Turf Tires

/ Tires - Turf Tires #1  

TRguy

Let me apologize up front, I am a noob to most of this.

My father bought a John Deere 850 2wd in 1985

The original Turf tires are still on it and are in sad shape.

Along with the tires I need to replace the hydraulic lines. (Belts and hoses are fairly new.)

http://www.carolinaguntalk.com/PDFs/John%20Deere%20850.pdf

My questions are:

Do have to replace it with the same kind of turf tires. (Firestone (Bridgestone) 355/80D20 4ply) or can I use another brand. Not really interested in R4 tires want to stay with turf. Can you recommend a brand and size that would be a better replacement?

Who would you get to fabricate the hydraulic lines or is that some standard OEM type replacement I can buy?

The front tires, all I can make out is 50-14 and they are Bridgestone. Any idea the proper size. I found a size that looked similar in the PDF linked above. Was that the right tire?

Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Edited to reflect 2wd

Last edited:
   / Tires - Turf Tires #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

If the machine is 4WD, then the tire size is critical-the ratio between front and rear has to be maintained since they turn at different speeds.

JDParts list the tires sizes as follows:
13.6-16
23/8.5-12

As for the lines, I assume you mean the steel ones? Any good local hydraulic shop can make them for you, especially if the old ones are in good enough shape to copy.

/ Tires - Turf Tires #3  
Just like it was stated above get the tire that is exact match in size regardless of the brand. There is no such thing as close enough unless you will never use the tractor in 4-WD. Keep in mind that your local tire shop that services large trucks will probably service tractor tires and can get you the sizes you need. If you are not make out the numbers on the tire just call your local JD dealer and they certainly should be able to find out.

/ Tires - Turf Tires
Welcome to TBN:D

If the machine is 4WD, then the tire size is critical-the ratio between front and rear has to be maintained since they turn at different speeds.

13.6-16
23/8.5-12

As for the lines, I assume you mean the steel ones? Any good local hydraulic shop can make them for you, especially if the old ones are in good enough shape to copy.

Thanks for the welcome.

It is a 2wd, thanks, I changed post to reflect that.

Again being a noob, do you mind explaining what the numbers mean in, width of tire, rim, front or rear? Sorry just don't know:

13.6-16
23/8.5-12

Do you recommend a brand tire? Do you know what a price you would expect to pay for new turf tire front and back?

trying to garner some knowledge, thanks in advance.

/ Tires - Turf Tires #5  
Thanks for the welcome.

It is a 2wd, thanks, I changed post to reflect that.

Again being a noob, do you mind explaining what the numbers mean in, width of tire, rim, front or rear? Sorry just don't know:

13.6-16
23/8.5-12

Do you recommend a brand tire? Do you know what a price you would expect to pay for new turf tire front and back?

trying to garner some knowledge, thanks in advance.

It will be easier for you to Google search...just type in "13.6-16 tire" and you will get lots of info.