TLB Usage?

/ TLB Usage? #1  

dummy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1220, John Deere 770, Case 580E and Allmand TLB-35
I think this was asked before, but I can't find it. What is the "normal" or correct way to stance a TLB when using the hoe? I've always assumed right was whatever was comfortable for contour, etc. Yet, a buddy swears you have to "jack it as high as the hydraulics will go". Is that an old way, before live pto's maybe?

/ TLB Usage? #2  
I don’t know if I know the right way but I will tell you the way that works best for me. If you are trenching then I think that whatever puts the tractor in the most level position works best for me. If you are doing general digging, I like to keep the rear tires in contact with the ground, but the majority of weight on the stabilizers. I don’t know if this is true for full size TLB’s because all of my experience is with smaller equipment. With my B21, about as small as a TLB gets, the tooth bar on the loader and the rear tires on the ground helps keep the tractor from being moved around by the backhoe. Maybe I just push mine more than I should, but that is what works best. If I had to say what made the most difference in performance for my tractor, I would say the tooth bar on the loader. Besides making loader work more effective, it stabilized the backhoe work in a dramatic way.

MarkV

/ TLB Usage? #3  
Dummy - You're correct (that sounds a bit odd). Some TLBs (or BHLs, depending on the name from your favorite manufacturer) have the ability to lift the entire machine far off the ground (front and rear). That extended range is really only there to deal with uneven or un-level ground or conditions. So... if you are on level, firm ground... just lower the front bucket and rear stabilizers to where the weight is off the tires, if you want to hold your machine as firmly as possible.

... just my opinion...

/ TLB Usage?
Yea, that's what I THOUGHT was right. But, I guess everyone learns a little different technique.

/ TLB Usage? #5  
By lifting the entire machine it puts the weight on the stabilizers which prevent movement more then leaving the tires in contact as even with the brakes on there is still some roll. Some cases you leave the tires down like if your trenching so you can just push or pull the machine when you want to move but general digging you want the rear tires off the ground.

/ TLB Usage? #6  
(I am pretty sure that) The operators manual for our JD 310C TLB says to just lift the tires up, not to go all the way. Once you've got the tires up, I do not see any good coming from getting higher up in the air.

/ TLB Usage? #7  
I have a JCB full sized tlb. I have asked this question myself before. What I have found by my seat of the pants....is..the machine is MUCH more stable and "locked" into position with the wheels raised off the ground. I sometimes find the maching moving around, so will bump the loader lever to help firm up the front end... I have found a couple of times, all four wheels up off the ground. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

The hoe will simply toss this maching almost like a rag doll if I do not have the rear tires unloaded. Maybe I'm doing something wrong still...but time & time again..I have found that for me, the most stable position is wheels up. (up is defined as not touch the ground plus couple inches....not 24" off ground)