To trade or not to trade ? Looking for advice.

/ To trade or not to trade ? Looking for advice. #1  

Ryan03

Platinum Member
Tractor
Farmtrac DTC270, Kubota G5200hydro, Honda recon 250, Suzuki King Quad 450 4x4, 2003 2500 DMax/Allison 4x4
I am considering trading in my 2006 Farmtrac 270DTC on a New Kioti CK2610 HST Cab tractor. The Kioti list for $31,400.

The primary reason I'm looking is that parts availability for the Farmtrac is not good, as they have been out of business for many years.I currently have 700 hrs on it, and forsee the clutch needing replaced in the next 300 or so hours. Pressure plate availability appears to be non exhistant. I also like the idea of the new Kioti having heat and AC in the Cab, as well as the HST.

The hangup are
1 The Farmteac is paid off
2 The farmtrac has a factory subframe backhoe. The new one does not.
3 I added a remote and HYD thumb to the Farmtrac loader. Kioti doesn't existent.
The dealer has offered me 11,500 trade for the Farmtrac with the backhoe and thumb. I would be financing the remaining 22k @ 0% or 2.99 .

Affording the payment is not an issue, but the economy in the next year or so concerns me.

What would you do ?

/ To trade or not to trade ? Looking for advice. #2  
I am considering trading in my 2006 Farmtrac 270DTC on a New Kioti CK2610 HST Cab tractor. The Kioti list for $31,400.

The primary reason I'm looking is that parts availability for the Farmtrac is not good, as they have been out of business for many years.I currently have 700 hrs on it, and forsee the clutch needing replaced in the next 300 or so hours. Pressure plate availability appears to be non exhistant. I also like the idea of the new Kioti having heat and AC in the Cab, as well as the HST.

The hangup are
3 I added a remote and HYD thumb to the Farmtrac loader. Kioti doesn't existent.
The dealer has offered me 11,500 trade for the Farmtrac with the backhoe and thumb. I would be financing the remaining 22k @ 0% or 2.99 .

Affording the payment is not an issue, but the economy in the next year or so concerns me.

What would you do ?
f you cant get part for the Famteac I'd trade it.

/ To trade or not to trade ? Looking for advice. #3  
700 hours in 16 yrs is not heavy use. If you can pay the difference I would suggest it. Otherwise I'm sort of against financing long term dept today... wait a yr or 2.
You will put too many hours on the old beast in a yr or 2 based upon the use history.

/ To trade or not to trade ? Looking for advice. #4  

The hangup are

What would you do ?
IMO you will lose $10k in the first 2 years thru depreciation on the new Kioti.
you put 700 hrs on the farmtrac in 16 years so less that 50hrs per year so 6 years to eat up the 300 hrs you estimate the clutch will last. even assuming that the farmtrack will lose all of its $11k in value (not true) you are money ahead just keeping it for the 6 years.

the real question is does your $11k existing tractor do what you need it to do (including your desired level of comfort) if the answer is no get a new one if yes keep it.

IMO $2k kills any clutch issues on this size of equipment and the depreciation on the 16 year old equipment has leveled off. so it will be worth $9k at the end of 6 years. and it is not unusual for tractor clutches lasting for 3000hrs without issue.

the part number for the clutch assembly is LG5122 that above link list the part as available for $300, more over that is a pre tier IV engine so people kill for those right now.

BTW that tractor was made by LS and i would expect they will continue to make and sell the parts for it but YMMV.

you can download a free parts manual here:

this is just MO but if your local mechanic cannot keep that tractor going at a reasonable cost I would not trust him with a new one, unless there are some structural issues like a bent frame or something.

Last edited:
   / To trade or not to trade ? Looking for advice. #5  
Clutch rebuilder should be able to help you if you have one in your area. Try ebay as well.

If they'll give you 11k for it, I'd probably take it. If it looks good, you might throw it on FB marketplace and craigslist for a week or two for 16-18k and see what happens. You might do better. If not, you tried and you can still trade.

Last edited:
   / To trade or not to trade ? Looking for advice. #6  
You cannot add a BH and mechanical thumb to the Kioti with a cab? I know they offer the BH on the non-cab 2610, or dont you need a BH anymore?

IF you need a BH and thumb then I would keep the Farmtrac and be on the lookout for a decent used cab based tractor with a BH.