TO35 - Gear shifter stuck in neutral

/ TO35 - Gear shifter stuck in neutral #1  

marcgyver77

I have a 1954 TO-35 (gas) that is stuck in neutral. I am able to start it and use a long pri-bar to move the gears to Fwd or Reverse thru the fill hole. The shifter will not move at all. It happened when I bouncing down a slight grade and tried to down shift. There was no grinding, pop or any other noise when it happened...

Am I going to have to remove the top transmission cover or is there a way to fix it or move the shafts without having to do all that?

I have searched several forums and have not found a similar Thread. :confused2:
Any help would be appreciated...

/ TO35 - Gear shifter stuck in neutral #2  
Yep, pull the cover and re insert the shifter in the neutral position.
Easy to do.
In all probability the ball end is showing wear or a gate is slightly forced more open.

In all probability you will be in and out in all of 10/15 mins.

/ TO35 - Gear shifter stuck in neutral
What I read in the manual was that I had to remove the steering column along with the console to remove the cover. I will have to look at that again.
Thank you for your reply.

/ TO35 - Gear shifter stuck in neutral #4  
i have a '56 TO35 and an '60 MF35. both of my tractors have stuck in 1st or reverse but never in neutral. I found a post on another forum about using a long screwdriver like you did to get it back into neutral. that post referenced the need to replace springs and retaining pins for the selector however it did require removing top cover as well. i haven't had to replace mine yet but i do carry a crescent wrench and a long screwdriver ;)