Today sucked

/ Today sucked #31  
Know how that feels. I've got arc flashed before. It was a few years ago. Somehow the dang glass fell out of my welding helmet, right in the middle of a weld.

That's just crazy! :confused2:

I burned my eyes so bad, I couldn't open my eyes for a few days. When I did try to open them, it hurt really bad.

Was your helmet an auto dimming model?

/ Today sucked #32  
I think they might have just been too wet for too long. I still have about 8# left of them. Last box of lincoln 7018 I buy. I see a rod oven build in the future.
OK kid, take one of those wet 7018 rods. Place it in your stinger, and stick it to the base metal. Don't even try to weld! Just stick the rod to the metal, and watch the water boil out of the rod. Hold the rod there for a few seconds, break the connection, and weld with that rod and see if there is a difference.

(I also now have a good excuse for when my welds don't turn out perfect...the polar flux shifted :thumbsup:)
Now you are starting to catch on. As many years as I've been welding, I have every excuse in the book memorized! The excuse I use the most is, the sun was in my eyes!;)

Know how that feels. I've got arc flashed before. It was a few years ago. Somehow the dang glass fell out of my welding helmet, right in the middle of a weld.

I burned my eyes so bad, I couldn't open my eyes for a few days. When I did try to open them, it hurt really bad.

Not to mention trying to find my way to the bathroom, when I couldn't see and then trying to actually use the toilet. That was an interesting time.

Hope your eyes are feeling better.

I had to put wet rags over my eyes to help cool them down. I kept the wet rags over my eyes, while trying to sleep as well. Though didn't get much sleep as my eyes were burning.

At least the rags kept them a little cooler.

Chad
Next time this happens and you don't want to go to the Doctors, which I highly suggest, because they have great stuff for flash burns! Take a potato and slice it, place the potato slices over each eye with a rag full of ice chips on top of the potato slices.

/ Today sucked #33  
Yep, The potato seems to work well. I crush it and squeeze out the juice and drop it in my eyes. Not as good as what the Doc has but it will get you some sleep.

/ Today sucked

Not to mention trying to find my way to the bathroom, when I couldn't see and then trying to actually use the toilet. That was an interesting time.

Hope your eyes are feeling better.

I had to put wet rags over my eyes to help cool them down. I kept the wet rags over my eyes, while trying to sleep as well. Though didn't get much sleep as my eyes were burning.

At least the rags kept them a little cooler.

Chad

It wasnt bad at all. I have had worse. It was just as I was dropping the half burned rod out of the stinger, it hit the table, and made a little spark. I saw spots for a few mins, and they itched for an hour or 2, nothing too bad.

/ Today sucked
OK kid, take one of those wet 7018 rods. Place it in your stinger, and stick it to the base metal. Don't even try to weld! Just stick the rod to the metal, and watch the water boil out of the rod. Hold the rod there for a few seconds, break the connection, and weld with that rod and see if there is a difference.

I was doing that. I didnt see anything boil out. I hold it there for atleast 10 secs. It might be something about the inverter though, as it seemed to make more differnce with the old lincoln. (also I didnt get the inverter stuck rod sound, it was silent) I might plug in the tombstone, and try drying the rods with it, I know that works.

/ Today sucked #36  
That's just crazy! :confused2:

Was your helmet an auto dimming model?

I know. Thinking back on it. I remember taking the glass out to clean it because somehow it got dirty between the glass and the plastic in front of the glass.

I guess I didn't secure it good enough and that's why it decided to fall out.

The way the glass was secured in there didn't seem right from the start. Instead of having the clip on the inside of the helmet, the clip to hold the glass in was on the outside.

The one I have now has the clip on the inside and there's no way for it to fall out. It could only fall inwards.

It was just a regular old helmet no auto dimming.

Chad

/ Today sucked #37  
Next time this happens and you don't want to go to the Doctors, which I highly suggest, because they have great stuff for flash burns! Take a potato and slice it, place the potato slices over each eye with a rag full of ice chips on top of the potato slices.
Thanks

Hope it doesn't happen again, but I'm sure it will sometime. And if it does, I'll keep that in mind.

Chad

/ Today sucked #38  
It wasnt bad at all. I have had worse. It was just as I was dropping the half burned rod out of the stinger, it hit the table, and made a little spark. I saw spots for a few mins, and they itched for an hour or 2, nothing too bad.

Glad it wasn't too bad. :thumbsup:

Chad

/ Today sucked #39  
Yep, The potato seems to work well. I crush it and squeeze out the juice and drop it in my eyes. Not as good as what the Doc has but it will get you some sleep.

Never heard of using potatos / potato juice before. Wonder what's the rational behind that .... Thanks for the tip. Hope never to have to use this one.