Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work

/ Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work #11  
I dilute the bar oil with transmission oil 50/50 mostly cause I'm cheap and have a supply of unused tranny fluid. This thinner mix allows for more lubricant flow. Help to lubricate the longer bars also. At 50% there is still plenty of stickiness to the oil?
Dennis

??? I haven't been into a chainsaw pump yet but I thought they were piston type...or at least positive displacement of some type. Thus dilution would not affect volume delivered.

Harry K

/ Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work #12  
Both saws I use regularly (.029 Stihl and 130 Husky) really fling the lube off the bar nose with this mix.
Dennis

/ Today's Husky Rancher 455 and 445 Work #13  
??? I haven't been into a chainsaw pump yet but I thought they were piston type...or at least positive displacement of some type. Thus dilution would not affect volume delivered.

Harry K

My understanding is similar. Allthough I dont think they are piston pumps. I have never actually had the "pump" part appart. But I have replaced pleanty of oilers as a unit.

They do make different viscosities of oil though. "winter blend" which is thinner and "summer blend" which is thicker. I have used both. And without adjusting the oiler, I have never noticed increased consumption with the thinner winter stuff. And it seems to me that the more oil that slings off the chain, the less is left on the chain to do its job.