Today's project - fuel gauge in cap.

/ Today's project - fuel gauge in cap. #22  
When I had mine apart I didn't have any solvent so I tried the wife's nail polish remover to clean the inside of the lens and then I think I put a coat of clear fingernail polish on. Still looks pretty clear after five years.

/ Today's project - fuel gauge in cap. #23  
Well, I managed to run out of fuel while mowing yesterday, and I was as far as I could be on my property from where my completely full (and heavy) 6 gallon gas can was at. I had to walk back and forth twice becuase I discovered that the screw in the banjo fitting I needed to loosen (to bleed the fuel down) couldn't be turned with a screwdriver because of paint. All of this to say that I'm thinking again about how NICE it would be to have a fuel gage on my cap! ;)

/ Today's project - fuel gauge in cap.
When I had mine apart I didn't have any solvent so I tried the wife's nail polish remover to clean the inside of the lens and then I think I put a coat of clear fingernail polish on. Still looks pretty clear after five years.
Following your advice I painted clear nail polish on the frosted underside of the lens.

Running the tractor today, the gauge is clearly visible at first glance. No need to study it intently any more. Great idea!

Thanks!!!

/ Today's project - fuel gauge in cap. #25  
The older style "Indicator Gas Cap lens" is also available, just $5 @ (1/3 ounce) + shipping:
GlenPettit@iCloud.com (13/4" diameter, fits Kelch caps+)

Attachments

• IMG_0764 copy 3.JPG
    IMG_0764 copy 3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 223
   / Today's project - fuel gauge in cap. #26  
To clean the outside of your clear gas cap lens that has yellowed; Toothpaste works great, especially if it has an abrasive in it, or use Rubbing Compound. It is very difficult to remove these lenses from the gas cap since they used 'super glue' to install them and an older lens has dried and is prone to cracking and shattering when removed, so we can't really clean the underside. Sometimes, older flashlights have this same diameter lens and will replace into the cap. The gauge face and dial can also be cleaned this same way.

/ Today's project - fuel gauge in cap. #27  
The fuel cap with gauge. I had to replace the clear lens. Fredricks' had them for $2 at the time. Hoye has them too ...

Talked with neighbors with John Deere's. Nobody could get the clear lenses anymore. JD dealers only sold the entire assembly now. I told them about the Yanmar parts suppliers, they were all happy about it.

BEFORE
DSCF0853md.jpg

AFTER
DSCF0854md.jpg

DSCF0855md.jpg

DSCF0860md.jpg

zooming up on the bottom, it says ... MADE IN JAPAN ASAHI-DENSO