Toolbar on loader arms

/ Toolbar on loader arms #1  

UncleW

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 26 xl
I’m designing a finger weeder attachment for a 2”toolbar to weed my vineyard rows. 26 hp Mahindra

The fingers and the spyder in front of them get up close and personal with the vines, so need to steer it well.

It’s nice to have some vertical play so when you hit a rock…. 3pt is obvious choice except for steering. Belly mount or bumper are good for steering but dont have any play

Thought I’d ask before my next post was “help, bent loader arms”
Is it a terrible idea to attach a toolbar to the loader arms? I’d weld up something strong to fit the universal skid steer mount

I guess the other thing would be to use springs etc in a mid or bumper mount, but don’t have a design for that

/ Toolbar on loader arms
Forgot to add that I’d run the loader arms on float

/ Toolbar on loader arms #3  
Consider the weight of the loader arms and the forces required to move it even in "float". I'm not really familiar with a finger weeder or the ruggedness of your vine "stumps", but having made up some snowplows that were loaded attached and seeing how it all behaved in this application makes me think it might be too brutal. ?
Do a build thread, sounds like an interesting project!

/ Toolbar on loader arms #4  
TPH mounted vine hoes are common in California and Washington. A "trigger" swings the hoe away from the vine on contact. With some on-line research and maybe a few phone calls you should be able to order one. Our vine hoes were operated behind Loaderless, low ground clearance 100-hp Deere Orchard and Vineyard model tractors with oversize hydraulic pumps to operate very high volume sprayers.

Your Mahindra may or may not have sufficient hydraulic flow. I do not know.

Google search:
tractor vine hoe

Heavy work should ALWAYS be done from the TPH, not the Loader.

Last edited:
   / Toolbar on loader arms #5  
You could also consider a Ratchet Rake toothbar.

DIRECT VENDER:

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 264

Last edited:
   / Toolbar on loader arms
TPH mounted vine hoes are common in California and Washington. A "trigger" swings the hoe away from the vine on contact. With some on-line research and maybe a few phone calls you should be able to order one. Our vine hoes were operated behind Loaderless, low ground clearance 100-hp Deere Orchard and Vineyard model tractors with oversize hydraulic pumps to operate very high volume sprayers.

Your Mahindra may or may not have sufficient hydraulic flow. I do not know.

Google search:
tractor vine hoe

Heavy work should ALWAYS be done from the TPH, not the Loader.
Thanks. I’ve looked at a number of vine hoes & haven’t found one in the right price range. (DIY for almost free) My vineyard is big enough to be a whole lot of work and small enough to not bring in a whole lot of $

I had talked to Tilmor who makes this:
IMG_2512.jpeg

Which would require a tractor like you mentioned. Tilmor said that it would be worth a try to make a fixed weeder by mounting a spider tiller in front of the finger hub. They suggested mounting the finger assembly on one of those s-shaped springs that you use to mount a sweep to a cultivator toolbar. Which gives it some play

Until you hit something like a post, it’s light duty work. It has since occurred to me that after you hit the post it was heavy duty work.

So I think I’ll build a cultivator toolbar for the TPH and see how well it steers.

Appreciate the advice!