Toolcat owners: High hours / life span question

/ Toolcat owners: High hours / life span question #1  

My72

Hi,

I'm a new member who is considering a TC purchase for use on our first 10 Ac. bare lot (going to build a home). I would like to know from experienced owners, or others in the know, what might be considered to be "too many" hours on a used machine in relation to its practical life span/excessive maintainance costs.

This question is subjective, I know, but I would appreciate feedback, especfially after reading the one owner here who used his TC "A" to build a train tunnel and said it took a beating (and sounded like a lot of hours) but was only cosmetically damaged. His post also said that he had seen a Bobcat skidsteer with 9000 hours without engine rebuild, which is very impressive to me if that could be expected from a Bobcat machine.

I figure that a used car, driven at an average of 40 MPH, for 2000 hours, only has 80,000 miles on it. Such a car could still be a decent used car to buy in terms of available remaining life. Diesel engines usually last longer than gasoline engines from what I have read, so it seems possible that a well maintained Bobcat machine could still be worth purchasing even if it has high hours. Currently, I would consider 2000 to be on the high side, and less than 500 to be low hours.

I have seen a number of Bobcat skidsteer machines in the 3000-4000 hour range for sale with claims that they still work well, even though pin and busings have "normal" wear. This causes me to wonder if this likely to be similar with the current used fleet of ToolCats ("A" to "C" series)?

Thanks.

K