Tools needed for 50 hr on L3400

/ Tools needed for 50 hr on L3400 #11  
I just finished my 50 service on my L2800 (same tractor as the 3400 with more hp). Its very simple to do and you dont actually have to have a torque wrench
for the drain plugs just dont over tighten them. The little rubber gaskets on the drain bolts are pretty thick and mine were all in great shape unless they are torn
i would reuse the old ones.I didnt have to jack mine up or take the front wheels
off but i guess it might make it easier if you did.

/ Tools needed for 50 hr on L3400
wickedinthere.

I'm having a hard time finding a shop manual for the L3400/L2800 in stock around here. The owners manual seemed to have a reasonable amount of information on all the fluid/filter changes required for the 50 hour service.

Do you think there is any additional wisdom in the shop manual that I ought to wait to do my service for?

/ Tools needed for 50 hr on L3400 #13  
You dont need the service manual for the 50 hour service. The owners manual shows where all the drain bolts are and it tells you how much oil your tractor needs.

/ Tools needed for 50 hr on L3400 #14  
Excellent points dieznutz. Although obvious I might have missed some of this if you hadn't pointed it out.

Are the rest of the folks here using 80W-90 gear oil in their front axle - or UDT/Super UDT?

It took me a full year to get to 50 hours. I imagine I should also change the air filter.

While on the topic of grease. I have just been using General purpose / All purpose grease from TSC. Should I be using Moly or some other kind of grease? What are the rest of you using?

/ Tools needed for 50 hr on L3400 #17  
canoetrpr said:
I might end up doing the service myself if the dealer won't do the CAM fix. You TBNers have helped raise my confidence. Before I get started I want to make sure I make a trip and get all the tools I will need. Can you make sure I get this right.

I figure I might as well spend the extra money I would save on labour on tools that will be useful later.

Need:

- L3400 shop manual.

- Filter wrench (is there only one size?).

- Jack and jack stands. Although the manual does not say it I thought I read that others jacked the front axle to get all the fluid out. What is the appropriate jack for this machine? There was a set of a 2T floor jack and jack stands on sale - didn't look heavy duty to me... wasn't sure if they would do?
Aside: Bottle jacks seem quite a bit cheaper than a floor jack of equal capacity. Any reason why I should not go with a bottle jack?

- Couple of large drain pans.

- Couple of funnels (one for oil and one for hydraulic fluid).

- Torque wrench

- Air compressor / pump and pressure gauage to fill up tires to the right pressure.

Have:
- Adjustable wrench / socket set (have)

Any other things / thoughts you might have to make the job easier?

Don't know if your Bota has hydrostatic transmission, but my B7510HST does. There's a filter screen on the tranny that has to be cleaned at 50 hours (small metal filings, etc). Takes a big wrench (1-1/8 if I remember correctly) to fit that plug. The plug on my tractor must have been tightened with an air wrench. Had a heck of a time getting that sucker loosened.

/ Tools needed for 50 hr on L3400 #18  
flusher said:
Don't know if your Bota has hydrostatic transmission, but my B7510HST does. There's a filter screen on the tranny that has to be cleaned at 50 hours (small metal filings, etc). Takes a big wrench (1-1/8 if I remember correctly) to fit that plug. The plug on my tractor must have been tightened with an air wrench. Had a heck of a time getting that sucker loosened.

The L2800/3400HST does not have the filter screen like the B7510HST.

/ Tools needed for 50 hr on L3400 #19  
canoetrpr said:
While on the topic of grease. I have just been using General purpose / All purpose grease from TSC. Should I be using Moly or some other kind of grease? What are the rest of you using?
Sounds like ya want to check out the Oil, Fuel, & Lubricants forum. If that won't completely confuse you, nothing will. :)
Personally I have two grease guns... one has the AP (I buy TSC's sometimes). The other has extreme pressure (EP) high temp Moly grease, for the mower spindles, loader & BH pivots, and any other bearings/bushings under extreme conditions. Everything else gets the regular stuff. I only use the two-gun method because I have 'em but it isn't necessary, if you only use one gun put the EP/HT/MoS2 grease in it. Grease is cheap period.
I wouldn't get hung up on brands, and as long as you pump out all of the old grease, it isn't a big deal to change types. Right now my "hi-test" gun is loaded with Castrol Contractor High Perf. EP Moly Grease, but once my current supply runs out it might be something else.