Price Check Torn and confused

/ Torn and confused #1  

mattasimms

I currently have a 2305 with a front end loader and mmm that gets a good bit of use (191 hours in 5 years) around the yard. We have a 6 acre plot that is mostly woods and some yard. I am working on cleaning up this entire area and have hit my limits on the 2305 as far as lifting and digging are concerned. I am looking at growing into a 3xxx series and have my eye on a 3720 with a grapple bucket and a backhoe(with thumb). I drove a 3038 yesterday to get a feel, but not sure what differences the eHydro in the 3720 there will be. This is a significant purchase for me and I have been doing me online research. Can anyone give me the basic differences in these and what to look for Ina good price. I have a current estimated price of $41k.

I also have the option to get a tier 3 for the next little while as there is one on the lot I can have them build for me (instead of a factory built custom tractor)

Thank you!
MS

/ Torn and confused #2  
Keep in mind the lifting ability in the whole 3x20 series will be the same, depending on the loader chosen - 300CX is best, as will the digging ability of the BH.
If you are looking for ground engaging ability or PTO driven attachments then the added HP of the 3720 may be of some use, but you may also find you run out of traction before horsepower. All I'm saying is make sure you need and will be able to actually use the extra HP of a 3720 compared to say a 3320. Not only will the 3x20's give you added lifting strength, but also added height.

/ Torn and confused #3  
Keep in mind the lifting ability in the whole 3x20 series will be the same, depending on the loader chosen - 300CX is best, as will the digging ability of the BH.
If you are looking for ground engaging ability or PTO driven attachments then the added HP of the 3720 may be of some use, but you may also find you run out of traction before horsepower. All I'm saying is make sure you need and will be able to actually use the extra HP of a 3720 compared to say a 3320. Not only will the 3x20's give you added lifting strength, but also added height.

Still not enough weight on the 3000 series for the hp it has.

/ Torn and confused #4  
I would not compare the 3038 machine to any 3x20 machine.

The 3032 and 3038 tractors are strictly economy based. They are no frills, basic tractors meant for someone who won't use it much and has very limited needs and limited budget. The hydro system on these 2 machines is mechanical, not electronic like on the 3320, 3520 and 3720.

The 3720 is a completely different animal. The 3720 is far too light for the horsepower it can put out, step down one model. The 3520 is what you want to get. I never consider the 3320 a viable option because it is a naturally aspirated engine. It does reach it's limitations in terms of horsepower fairly fast if you have a HP hungry attachment. 3320 tractors with the cab have been known to lack power when using the A/C at the same time as heavy loader work or rear PTO operation.

The 3520 is the perfect sweet spot because it gets you into a turbocharged engine. It has more than enough power and matches the weight really well, especially if you have a BH as ballast. Overall, you will save about $2,500 - $3,000 by stepping down in HP to the 3520. Trust me, your wasting money on the 3720 engine. You will run out of traction long before those extra horses you paid for will work for you.

Besides engines, there is no difference between the 3320, 3520, and 3720. By stepping down to a 3520 from a 3720, you are not losing any features.

I think your making a good choice moving to the 3000 series. The 2305 is meant for very light work, something suitable for a few acres and light duty tasks. Stepping up into the 3000 series is the best choice for you in my opinion. You will be blown away at how much faster you will be able to work, and how much more you can do with a 3000 series.

/ Torn and confused #5  
I never consider the 3320 a viable option because it is a naturally aspirated engine. It does reach it's limitations in terms of horsepower fairly fast if you have a HP hungry attachment. 3320 tractors with the cab have been known to lack power when using the A/C at the same time as heavy loader work or rear PTO operation.

This is a good example of why the OP needs to determine as best he can what he plans to accomplish with the new tractor. The OP speaks of Lifting, Grapple, Back Hoe. To a large extent these are dependent mainly on hydraulic flow (which is the same for all 3x20's) and not raw HP. Yes, I have a 3320 CAB with AIR, so one could say I'm biased, but, in my opinion have never "run out of horsepower" when lifting / doing Loader work or Digging. Yes, in deep and / or heavy snow the blower will start to bog the engine and I have to either slow down or take a smaller cut. When I cut the steep road allowance I have to switch to #1 gear and 4WD, but I very much doubt a 3520 or 3720 would go up the same hill in gear #3 either. I don't Bush Hog or use a Tiller. If I did then a 3520 might well be the sweet spot as you say.

The other aspect the OP needs to examine in addition to what he is trying to accomplish, is how often might he "run out of horsepower" with a 3320. If hourly / daily then maybe a 3520 would be a better choice. If once a month, one in 6 months, once a year, is it worth the incremental $$$ to avoid a problem that does not occur very often. Cleaning up his land may to a large extent be a one time affair, rather than a professional looking for a business tractor, so he may want a trade off between speed and $$$ spent.

The OP's original post did not leave me with the impression that Ground Engaging or high output PTO work was high on his list of expectation.

/ Torn and confused
I am mostly on hilly land and have a lot of stumps and drainage to work on. I do general yard work, but have a few projects that will require moving stone and dirt up hills. My 2305 will do it, but very slowly.

Can someone address the tier 3 v/s tier 4 situation? I have an f350 with tier 4 and it is really not an issue to fill up the def twice a year...

I have a price of 41k for 3720, 300cx, 485 backhoe and grapple bucket. Good??

MS

/ Torn and confused #7  
If you are in the $41K range for a 3720 and have a "hilly" property have you considered a used 4x20 series. There has been a lot of discussion here about the 3x20 series and the need to add wheel spacers to increase stability on hills / slopes. Did a quick check on TractorHouse and found this: http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7726127 No price and maybe a CAB is not the best for woods, but, if you are not wanting to use the tractor as a lawn mower - if it were me I'd take a look at the 4x20 series.

For me the 3320 with CAB is like a Swiss Army knife - not necessarily excellent at anything, but good to very good at a whole lot of things. I like mowing the lawn in air conditioned comfort, so I can live with a bit of soil compaction. Take out the lawn mowing and the extra lift and other factors would probably have pushed me to a 4x20.

Just something else to further confuse the issue.