Tough decision: B2650, B3350, or L3301?

/ Tough decision: B2650, B3350, or L3301? #1  

zrlockhart

Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I'm looking for some advice as I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new tractor purchase this weekend. The main task will be finish mowing 10 hilly acres, then some occasional brushhogging and loader work. We currently have a bx1500 and bx25d that take care of mowing task at this property as well as several rental properties. I am torn between a b2650,b3350, and an L3301. I ideally want to be running a 72 inch finish mower. I can't decide between mid mount or 3PH.

The concern with the b2650 is that it will be underpowered while running a 72" mower and climbing hills. Pros for this setup is the price.

The concern with the b3350 is the emissions gremlins that have plagued that model. Most dealers don't really support this model in my area. Pros for this setup is the power.

The concern with the L3301 is that it will be too big for primary use as a lawn mower as well as the only option will be a rear finish mower. I do like the idea of rear discharge though.

I would love a large diesel zero turn, but I need the versatility of a tractor.

/ Tough decision: B2650, B3350, or L3301? #2  
It is helpful you have entered your current tractor into your T-B-N PROFILE.

Entering your LOCATION into your T-B-N PROFILE would inform use of your topography, soil type, grass and altitude.

I want to run a 72 inch finish mower. I can't decide between mid mount or 3PH.

VIDEO: Comparing Finish Mowers (midmount VS 3-point) - Kubota B261 - YouTube

My only experience is with Bush Hogs. However, my impression from reading T-B-N is that Finish Mowers have lower power requirements than Bush Hogs due to lighter blades, lighter decks and rubber belt final drive. Finish Mowers typically weigh approximately what LIGHTWEIGHT Bush Hogs weigh, which may be 50% of what a heavy duty Bush Hog weighs.

Others with direct Finish Mower experience may contradict me.

The Loaders on new tractors are easy to remove, dropping 700 pounds (?) off a B2650/B3350. This would be OK with a MMM but you might need Loader weight to hold down front of tractor mowing uphill with Three Point Hitch Finish Mower.

Helpful to know acres you intend to mow with new tractor, more description of hills and an idea of how long the grass will be, typically and max length, on the hills.

Last edited:
   / Tough decision: B2650, B3350, or L3301? #3  
I'm looking for some advice as I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new tractor purchase this weekend. The main task will be finish mowing 10 hilly acres, then some occasional brushhogging and loader work. We currently have a bx1500 and bx25d that take care of mowing task at this property as well as several rental properties. I am torn between a b2650,b3350, and an L3301. I ideally want to be running a 72 inch finish mower. I can't decide between mid mount or 3PH.

The concern with the b2650 is that it will be underpowered while running a 72" mower and climbing hills. Pros for this setup is the price.

The concern with the b3350 is the emissions gremlins that have plagued that model. Most dealers don't really support this model in my area. Pros for this setup is the power.

The concern with the L3301 is that it will be too big for primary use as a lawn mower as well as the only option will be a rear finish mower. I do like the idea of rear discharge though.

I would love a large diesel zero turn, but I need the versatility of a tractor.

As you plan to buy immediately, I would suggest the 3301, if you can live with a three point mounted mower.

The mechanically injected engine in the 3350 is being replaced with a common rail design in the foreseeable future. Though current 3350s are considerably improved vis a vis earlier models, the jury is still out. The new engine should be as reliable as other Kubota models in this regard. Wait.

The B2650 will be underpowered with a 72" finish mower, MMM or otherwise, unless you keep the grass light and can accept reduced speed on slopes and/or keep the weight low, e.g., remove the FEL, no liquid ballast, etc. There have been other threads herein about this issue. You could, of course, specify a 60" MMM.

The 3301 should handle a 72" three point mounted finish mower in your conditions unless you let the grass become unacceptably heavy for a finish mower and your terrain is quite steep.

SDT

/ Tough decision: B2650, B3350, or L3301? #4  
I would not touch the B3350 until it is modified to the CR engine. The B2650 may be of issue on your hilly property and mowing with a 6ft finish. The L3301/L3901/L4701 or even a L3560 is probably the best choice.

/ Tough decision: B2650, B3350, or L3301? #5  
I have a B2650 with cab and air. There is no way it is underpowered with a 72" mower deck. I have hills and obstacles and my tractor handles it just fine. I had a B2910 with the 30 hp engine and a 72" MMM, and I don't see any difference regarding power with my 2650.

I originally thought I wanted a 3350, but after reading about all the nightmares on here with the regeneration fiasco, I went with the 2650. I am very pleased with it, except for the noisy hydrostatic drive. But that's why they have ear muffs and plugs. :D

/ Tough decision: B2650, B3350, or L3301? #6  
To mention the obvious - all 72" decks are not created equal. I've been running RFM's since around 1992 and can tell you they vary widely in weight. Here's an example using a 5' width. I have a Ford 1210 that is happy to run a 5' Caroni mower all day long uphill and down. Just for fun I tried a 5' LandPride that I always ran on a Kubota. Poor little Ford was way overwhelmed. There are some real variations between brands with any given deck size.

/ Tough decision: B2650, B3350, or L3301? #7  
I have the 72" mmm on my B2650 and IMO it's the correct deck for this tractor. It extends out enough beyond the tire track to trim near things, mows through the thickest grass with ease, and connects on and off quickly.

/ Tough decision: B2650, B3350, or L3301? #8  
If I was mowing 10 acres I would be going with the MX series tractor or one in the 50-60 hp with a cab.

I mow about 2 1/2 acres with a zero turn and I'm getting tired of being exposed to dirt and dust.