Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #51  
I find this an interesting post! Why does the Explorer pull better? I don't understand torque verses hp but understand an engine with more torque can have more power than an engine with more hp.

What year are your Highlander and Explorer? How does gas millage compare between the two?
Highlander is 09 Hybrid LTD, Explorer is 1st year of production so 1990.

Highlander gets about double the gas mileage of the Explorer (so mid 30+ish mpg vs mid teens for the Explorer). In good weather with no trailer it's wonderful to drive since the added hp/torque of the electric engine is like having a turbocharger without the lag at altitude 8K-12K ft. The 4 wheel independent suspension just soaks up the bumps.

I don't know why the Explorer is the better tow vehicle, perhaps it's the body-on-frame stiffness compared to the Highlander being unibody. Perhaps it's the rigid rear end. What I know is the Highlander feels 'vague' and not as 'bolted down' as the Explorer when pulling a loaded trailer

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs
Highlander is 09 Hybrid LTD, Explorer is 1st year of production so 1990.

Highlander gets about double the gas mileage of the Explorer (so mid 30+ish mpg vs mid teens for the Explorer). In good weather with no trailer it's wonderful to drive since the added hp/torque of the electric engine is like having a turbocharger without the lag at altitude 8K-12K ft. The 4 wheel independent suspension just soaks up the bumps.

I don't know why the Explorer is the better tow vehicle, perhaps it's the body-on-frame stiffness compared to the Highlander being unibody. Perhaps it's the rigid rear end. What I know is the Highlander feels 'vague' and not as 'bolted down' as the Explorer when pulling a loaded trailer

What is the tow rating for a hybrid? I was thinking it is only about 1500lbs.

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #53  
Interesting on the Highlander. It was one of my top picks to replace our Explorer.

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #54  
What is the tow rating for a hybrid? I was thinking it is only about 1500lbs.
Max towing capacity is listed as 3500 lbs.

There's a door frame sticker derating that limit by 165 lb. I've never towed more than 1500lbs with it and IMO that was too much.

Interesting on the Highlander. It was one of my top picks to replace our Explorer
It's a great 'station wagon' (Highlander is based on a modified Camry Chassis), it's not a 'truck' like the Explorer

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs
Max towing capacity is listed as 3500 lbs.

There's a door frame sticker derating that limit by 165 lb. I've never towed more than 1500lbs with it and IMO that was too much.

It's a great 'station wagon' (Highlander is based on a modified Camry Chassis), it's not a 'truck' like the Explorer

Was your explorer a V6 or a V8?

/ Towing Vechicle for 3500 lbs #56  
Was your explorer a V6 or a V8?
Keep in mind the vehicles in question are 19 years apart in age and the newer one is a hybrid; makes comparison difficult. Current Explorer would probably do a little better on mileage and should still have somewhat better towing performance than a Highlander. A new Highlander hybrid can easily push mid $40's MSRP, but I suppose a hybrid Explorer would also and it's now become more of a crossover FWD based than the old truck like model.