Traction with FEL and Backhoe

/ Traction with FEL and Backhoe #11  
Agree it depends. I don't have hills but we do get quite a bit of rain at times and with clay soil it can get very muddy. If the job needs to be done then careful planning and you can do it. I have used the FEL to help get me unstuck a few times. My backhoe is a baby one I use on the 3pt but it wouldn't offer much in the way to get me unstuck. Also if it's "that" muddy I have no business being on the tractor 2wd or 4wd.

Good luck.

/ Traction with FEL and Backhoe #12  
2wd backhoes have gobs of fraction with all their weight. But that weight works against them when soft and muddy. If you absolutely have to have the ability to go through muddy conditions, keep looking. A heavy backhoe stuck in the mud is not fun

/ Traction with FEL and Backhoe #13  
Best thing is keep them out of muddy conditions as much as possible, having been in road construction for so long a 2wd, or a 4wd BH will get stuck in mud easy.

/ Traction with FEL and Backhoe #15  
I have done a lot of spreading of muddy soil (debris dug out of ditches and ponds) with my TLB with R4 tires. I do a lot of spinning with all 4 wheels when back dragging and wouldn't want anything less than 4 WD. Granted, R1 tires on a 2 WD might be better than 4WD with R4 tires. R4 tires just don't have the tread depth to work well in mud.