tractor advice needed

/ tractor advice needed #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I have a older moline tractor that is around 70 HP that I use around my house to blade, disc, plant, etc. My current job gives me lots of free time and I am looking into buying a smaller tractor that I can haul around and do work for other people such as digging post holes, shredding, box blade work, FEL work, etc. Basically just doing stuff for the local people with 10 acres or less who don't have the equipment to do it themselves. I am thinking I can scrounge up enough work to pay for the machine (I already have truck, trailer, implements) and put some extra cash in my pocket. What size machine would you recommend for this? I have experience with larger tractors but know nothing about the smaller ones. I need to be able to haul it on my 18' trailer with 7000 lb capacity.

/ tractor advice needed #2  
I'd go with about a 35 hp machine, so that you can make better use of your time, thus making more money.

/ tractor advice needed #3  
I would say you could go with 25 to 35 hp. And I would recommend 4wd on the lighter CUTs. I have 27 PTO hp and run a 6' rotary cutter (shredder). Works fine unless the grass is really tall or thick. Then I just slow down a little. It will do all else you are asking. I will not begin to recommend a brand. Just look at them all and decide what feels good to you, looks good, appears to be about the right size and price, and have a good dealer.

/ tractor advice needed #4  
I agree.. 25hp minimum.. 35 max. That will keep you in the weight range with a 18' trailer and a mower and fel.

One thing though.. if your implements are matched to a 70ho ( cat 2 ) tractor.. a 30hp tractor is going to give you a funny look.. etc.

You will need to ballance size with speed. Going with something that can pull a 5' mower will let you mow way faster than a 4' mower.. however.. a smaller tractor like a scut with a PHD can manuver nicely. I suggest shuttle or hst for the laoder/PHD work.

Now as to waht machine / brand.. that's up to you.

I'd look at all the big players.. MH, KUB, NH JD, also mahindra, kioti agco, branson, as well as the other more common asian units, Jinma and kama.

Heck.. even eicher. This doesn't sound like a full time 'depend on for food business'.. so a lower priced unit.. for non-full time use may be the ticket for low cost startup.. .. etc.

One other thing.. investigate insurance needs!

Soundguy

/ tractor advice needed
Thanks or the advice. Looking really hard at a Branson now. Aside from Kubota, and JD they have the best support here and good prices as well. I was impressed by the machines.