Tractor is using oil

/ Tractor is using oil #1  

Landini R8000

Tractor
Landini R8000
Hey guys we have a old tractor on the farm and it has started to use oil and it looks like the oil is coming out the exhuast so I figure it is very bad but what is the cause ot this problem and how do I go about fixing it?

/ Tractor is using oil #2  
Oil out the exhaust, in my experience that's a sign of warn out rings. The crankcase oil gets past the rings but not all of it burns and some of the oil goes out the exhaust valve and into the tailpipe. You would generally see some blue smoke as well if that's the case.

The other option is bad valve seals or guides and the oil runs right down the valve stem and into the exhaust port and out the tailpipe.

In either case it sounds like an engine rebuild is in store.

/ Tractor is using oil
thought so but the prob is there is no info at all on this tractor all I know is it has a perkins motor and thats it

/ Tractor is using oil #4  
You could have leaky injectors that is causing this condition. The injectors could wash the cylinders and give you oil consumption. Is it showing signs of leakage at the exhaust manifold? How much oil are you using?

/ Tractor is using oil
uhm it does use a lot I do think that it is the rings it does smoke blue like when it stands and idols for a while then the smoke is blue and lots of it !and like i said the oil comes out of the exhaust but it seems to be coming out by the manifold I thought that was the same problem??

/ Tractor is using oil #6  
It it smokes a lot after idle that is a sign of valve stem seals are bad. This will blow it into the exhaust or leak out like you see prolly at the head and manifold connection. Rings will blow more smoke the harder you work it and it will increase in volume with engine RPM and remain steady. Bad rings at idle may or may not show visible blue smoke but slowly increase rpms to redline you see it at its thickest cloud it will make. Valve stem seals will blow blue at start up and after prolonged idle, oce revs increased will smoke heavy for a short period then return to the normal smoke load for that rpm.

Most likely there is a combination of the 2 with rings just being superficial but the valves seals creating a lot of smoke at certain times.

the stem seals can be done with the head on the tractor, assuming this is an overhead valve tractor. there is a fitting that screws into the spark plug hole to fill the cyl with air once you place that piston at TDC so that both valves are closed you can remove the nut and valve spring and then get to the seals and reassemble. The air is to that once you take the rocker and assembly off of the stem the valve will not drop into the cylinder, which it will with out positive air pressure from the inside. After each cyl you have to rotate the moter by hand and repeat on all cyls. Then set the valve lash.

Never done it but watched it done at my fater in laws shop.

/ Tractor is using oil #7  
ditto that.. smoke at idle or if you do a throttle up and it's blue not black.. I'd think valve stem seals.

the oily exhaust could also be slobber.

sounds like a pretty well worn engine.. not uncommon.. etc.

soundguy