Buying Advice Tractor-Loader vs TLB - which holds value better

/ Tractor-Loader vs TLB - which holds value better #1  

tiger275

Hey all,

Just a general opinion question (unless someone has same factual data that want to share)....

Which holds value better a TL or a TLB (all other things being equal - meaning same make and model tractor- or as close as possible)? I don't mean $$ specifically but more importantly % of original purchase price.

For example, a GC2400 with loader vs a GC2410 or a JD 1026 w/loader vs a JD 1026 TLB

I am in the market for a subcut but am tossed and torn between including the Backhoe or not. I know people ask about this all the time...but it seems that the normal question is about $$ vs usefulness. I am trying to take another angle. Assuming I got the TLB would it depreciate slower, faster or the same.

Thanks for your advice and experiences.

/ Tractor-Loader vs TLB - which holds value better #2  
If you have a use for a backhoe, buy one...resale will, IMHO, be more due to brand then what's installed on the tractor.

I thought about buying a backhoe...had an opportunity to pick up a #7 for a Deere 790. But I just have little need for a backhoe.
And when I do have a need, I'll rent a dedicated 'hoe or excavator.

/ Tractor-Loader vs TLB - which holds value better #3  
I think a TLB will hold it's value very well when selling but to justify you need to have some uses for the backhoe for yourself. I use my backhoe more than my 3 point so it was easy choise for me. You will usually find a lot of unexpected uses as well.

/ Tractor-Loader vs TLB - which holds value better #4  
You can get alot of opinions on this question or you can do the research and come up with an answer you feel ok with. If it were me I would do a comparison on Tractorhouse and Machinefinder to get a better idea of what used models are selling for.

About backhoes, obviously they come in lots of sizes and some will be too small for the tasks and some too large. I would choose a backhoe that is sized to do 90% of your jobs assuming you have enough to justify the purchase at all. For most people with only occasional need renting or hiring a contractor can make more sense.

/ Tractor-Loader vs TLB - which holds value better #5  
I have been looking at used TLB and from what I see, Kubota B21 and B26 are selling for about what they cost new even after 8 -10 years and 1500-2000 hours. I dont see loader tractors holding that kind of value or even the add on backhoes. If I were buying and needed a backhoe, I would buy the TLB models even though some brands have no difference in them when you add it all up as far as weight, motor, hydraulics etc. Case in point MF 2600 vs MF 2610 which seems to be the same identical tractor in size and weight save the backhoe. From online pricing it looks like the GC 2610 is at least $2000 higher on initial purchase than a 2600 with loader and backhoe. Maybe I am missing something but they are the same weight, same HP, same hydraulic flow, same model FEL. Might be some difference in the hoe which is about 60 lbs heavier, but $2K for 60 pounds of steel is a lot to pay when digging depth and reach is the same.

/ Tractor-Loader vs TLB - which holds value better #6  
From the other side, the most common compacts sold are TL not tlb! Most asked for used when customers come in is TL. Now if you are talking of buying a B-21 B-26, L-35,39.45 the only way I'd buy it is as a TLB. This grouping of industrial strength TLB's make a big difference as to the speed and strength of the backhoe and no typical add-on hoe can match them for performance. Common compacts without enhanced hydraulics don't have as large of a difference in value.
For the most of customers they enjoy renting excavators to do the heavy digging work and just buy the TL.
Normal loss on resale of a typical tractor mounted backhoe that is a manufacturer match, 1/2 to 2/3rds of what you paid depending on hours and condition. Aftermarket depending on fit, 1/2 at the most. We just had one that was such a bad match we sent the whole thing to an auction and it actually hurt the bare TL resale value.