Tractor loses power

/ Tractor loses power #1  

fruitcakesa

Veteran Member
Tractor
M6040 JD 450C
Lately, when driving up slope, the engine will lose power to the point that in order to keep forward progress, I have to back off the throttle to maintain headway. As soon as it starts to level off, power returns.
Today, it also lost power on a downhill run and cleared up when back on the level.
I use freshly treated fuel with power service.
Any ideas?

/ Tractor loses power #3  
Something floating in the tank that blocks the flow on inclines?

/ Tractor loses power #5  
Try blowing out your fuel lines and see if anything changes.

Is there a glass bowl at the bottom of your fuel pump? Some of them have a screen, or brass like filter in them that needs to be cleaned periodically.

To turn off my small tractor, there is a solenoid that pushes a lever that cuts off the fuel to the engine at the injector pump. The solenoid wasn't retracting all the way, so I was getting full power because I wasn't getting all of the fuel that I was supposed to be getting. I bypassed the solenoid and put on an old fashion choke cable to open and close it manually. My power increase was significant and immediate. Before, I could barely climb up some hills while bush hogging. In fact, in those areas, I would work my way around so I was going down hill there instead of trying to mow up the hill. Now I fly along with tons of power, no matter if I'm going up or down a hill. It's like I got a brand new tractor!!!

/ Tractor loses power
Something floating in the tank that blocks the flow on inclines?
I know that was a possibility but have not addressed that yet
Try blowing out your fuel lines and see if anything changes.

Is there a glass bowl at the bottom of your fuel pump? Some of them have a screen, or brass like filter in them that needs to be cleaned periodically.

To turn off my small tractor, there is a solenoid that pushes a lever that cuts off the fuel to the engine at the injector pump. The solenoid wasn't retracting all the way, so I was getting full power because I wasn't getting all of the fuel that I was supposed to be getting. I bypassed the solenoid and put on an old fashion choke cable to open and close it manually. My power increase was significant and immediate. Before, I could barely climb up some hills while bush hogging. In fact, in those areas, I would work my way around so I was going down hill there instead of trying to mow up the hill. Now I fly along with tons of power, no matter if I'm going up or down a hill. It's like I got a brand new tractor!!!