Tractor Sizing Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property
The other day I went by our local Kubota dealer and looked at a few tractors. I really like the size of the MX5800HST.

I got a quote for the tractor, FEL with bucket and forks, 6' rotary cutter, and 6' landscape box all for $34,230. Seems like a great price.

I know the 6' rotary cutter is a bit small for the amount of mowing I think we will do at first. However if it takes me a week to cut it, it wont be then end of the world for me. I will also be living on the property and enjoy doing chores around the place.

I agree with the suggestion will maybe renting mini ex/little bigger for expansion work. Additions will require and 35.5'x144'x4' excavation for the installment of 4" geothermal tubes and then mostly backfilled with gravel.

You guys/gals have given great info to help get me started. Thanks again. I will try to get lots of pictures and such of the whole process to share. Scott.

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #12  
I'd price just the tractor and then price attachments. A lot of times those package deals don't work out to the buyers favor.

Titan is also just up the road from you, and makes good equipment.

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #13  
I'd price just the tractor and then price attachments.
Often package deals don't work out in the buyer's favor.

The specs on Forks, Box Blades, Rotary Cutters and other implements vary a great deal. You should be at least as painstaking with implement selection as tractor selection.

I trust you ordered optional 4-WD and optional SSQA FEL connection for your MX5800, so you can use SSQA Pallet Forks. Without SSQA, bucket is part of your payload, absorbing around 300 pounds of lift capacity. You need every pound of LA1065 lift capacity to unload one ton pallets from semi-trailers.

You will need 1,000 pounds counterbalance mounted on the Three Point Hitch in order to unload one ton pallets, assuming liquid filled rear tires. Box Blades are frequently used for counterbalance. What is the weight of the Box Blade in your package? Land Pride (by Kubota) HR3584 Box Blade is 1,119 pounds.

Have the dealer set rear wheels wider than standard for increased stability. I believe MX5800 rear wheels can be spread 59" outside-to-outside.

Last edited:
   / Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #14  
The other day I went by our local Kubota dealer and looked at a few tractors. I really like the size of the MX5800HST.

I got a quote for the tractor, FEL with bucket and forks, 6' rotary cutter, and 6' landscape box all for $34,230. Seems like a great price.

I know the 6' rotary cutter is a bit small for the amount of mowing I think we will do at first. However if it takes me a week to cut it, it wont be then end of the world for me. I will also be living on the property and enjoy doing chores around the place.

I agree with the suggestion will maybe renting mini ex/little bigger for expansion work. Additions will require and 35.5'x144'x4' excavation for the installment of 4" geothermal tubes and then mostly backfilled with gravel.

You guys/gals have given great info to help get me started. Thanks again. I will try to get lots of pictures and such of the whole process to share. Scott.

25 acres with a 6' cutter? You'll find your time is more valuable than that, I hope. Is the land any good for hay? Get in touch with a hay farmer, plant it to hay, split the crop and sell it. He'll do all the mowing, and you'll have managed land that can be taken out of hay as you need it. Then put that tractor money to a machine that will be more usable to your operation, like an articulated loader....

/ Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #15  

Mowing calculator in Post #3 estimates 72" Rotary Cutter @ 2.5 mph = 1.64 acres per hour. 25/1.64 = 15.25 hours per pasture mow.

Last edited:
   / Tractor needed for 35 ac commercial property #16  
Good luck on your new venture.I think the largest HST versions are your best bet;most new operators will adjust pretty quick to their operation(think future employees).I mow 25+acres every year with a six ft.brush hog;dodge a lot of trees and takes about 20 hours.I have it down to once a year(August);works for me.
Some would suggest a 100 HP tractor and a 15ft.bat-wing mower to save time;lot of expense to do your own 25 acres;certainly wouldn't be feasible for me.