Tractor Noob needs help

/ Tractor Noob needs help #1  

bcarwell

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 7500DT
I just bought a 1000 lb. PTO (cedar) chipper and need a tractor w/ 3 point hitch to lift it and PTO to run it (I know, I know, bassackwards). I have 2 1/2 acres, relatively flat. Would also be using it for landscaping, stump pulling, a little mowing, small garden, post digging. Will be buying 20 acres next year.

Ideally would like tractor to serve both 2 acre and 20 acre lot and would forego smaller tractor maneuverability for versatility and bigger-ness, although might also best use a smaller compact for the small lot, then sell it when done for a bigger one for the 20 acres. Except a small one probably couldn't lift the chipper, right ?.

Mainly need tractor immediately for chipper and dragging cedar trunks, but would like loader and backhoe I could add later for landscaping. Compact Kubota B21 would be perfect if all I was looking at was the 2 acres and money was no object. But I have $5K - 10K MAX to spend, so am looking at used gray market I guess or older tractor. The real dilemma appears small tractor for small acreage, but big tractor needed to move the chipper around on the 2 acres (I guess I could figure out how to put wheels on it).

Anyway, recommendations on tractor models ?

Thanks, Bob

/ Tractor Noob needs help
I just bought a 1000 lb. PTO (cedar) chipper and need a tractor w/ 3 point hitch to lift it and PTO to run it (I know, I know, bassackwards). I have 2 1/2 acres, relatively flat. Would also be using it for landscaping, stump pulling, a little mowing, small garden, post digging. Will be buying 20 acres next year.

Ideally would like tractor to serve both 2 acre and 20 acre lot and would forego smaller tractor maneuverability for versatility and bigger-ness, although might also best use a smaller compact for the small lot, then sell it when done for a bigger one for the 20 acres. Except a small one probably couldn't lift the chipper, right ?.

Mainly need tractor immediately for chipper and dragging cedar trunks, but would like loader and backhoe I could add later for landscaping. Compact Kubota B21 would be perfect if all I was looking at was the 2 acres and money was no object. But I have $5K - 10K MAX to spend, so am looking at used gray market I guess or older tractor. The real dilemma appears small tractor for small acreage, but big tractor needed to move the chipper around on the 2 acres (I guess I could figure out how to put wheels on it).

Anyway, recommendations on tractor models ?

Thanks, Bob

/ Tractor Noob needs help #3  
Well, you could start by seeing how much hp the chipper is supposed to use. Then work from that point. If you don't have enough oomph to spin the thing, it won't do you any good to own it. I'm going to guess you need something with at least 23 hp, depending on whether the chipper is power feed, how big of stuff it will handle, etc. Look at the manual or perhaps on the metal plate that's somewhere on the chipper.

/ Tractor Noob needs help #4  
Well, you could start by seeing how much hp the chipper is supposed to use. Then work from that point. If you don't have enough oomph to spin the thing, it won't do you any good to own it. I'm going to guess you need something with at least 23 hp, depending on whether the chipper is power feed, how big of stuff it will handle, etc. Look at the manual or perhaps on the metal plate that's somewhere on the chipper.

/ Tractor Noob needs help #5  
The size and configuration of the chipper will have bearing on this. Most 3pt hitches have a good bit of lift capacity, but front weight will also be important for proper ballast.

A chipper than can cut 3" material is, of course, going to require much less HP and tractor strength than one that will cut 6" material, so you have to know what that spec is.

I managed, quite well, to run a Woods chipper that actually called for more than the 15.5 PTO HP that my tractor develops, but it wasn't "ideal."

And keep in mind those times when you have a brain fog that makes you put something way too large in the hopper and it really lugs your engine. Not good. So make sure you have plenty of PTO HP on whatever you buy, and I'm sure you'll probably be able to handle the chipper as long as you buy a tractor that's tall enough to handle it (no high HP really small framed tractors).

John

/ Tractor Noob needs help #6  
The size and configuration of the chipper will have bearing on this. Most 3pt hitches have a good bit of lift capacity, but front weight will also be important for proper ballast.

A chipper than can cut 3" material is, of course, going to require much less HP and tractor strength than one that will cut 6" material, so you have to know what that spec is.

I managed, quite well, to run a Woods chipper that actually called for more than the 15.5 PTO HP that my tractor develops, but it wasn't "ideal."

And keep in mind those times when you have a brain fog that makes you put something way too large in the hopper and it really lugs your engine. Not good. So make sure you have plenty of PTO HP on whatever you buy, and I'm sure you'll probably be able to handle the chipper as long as you buy a tractor that's tall enough to handle it (no high HP really small framed tractors).

John

/ Tractor Noob needs help #7  
20ac is decent.. I'd look for a bare minimum of mid 30's, and would consider that a small tractor... a better choice may be a 40's hp tractor, and even a 50hp is not out o fthe question.. i understand the JD 5103 is a decent deal.. but in any case.. check out all brands for dealer rep, price, etc.. In many cases, the small utility tractors ( 40hp and up ) can be had for a slightly better deal thant he scut and cut tractors.

How much mowing are you planning on doing/ size the tractor for that. 50hp gets you to a 10' mower..

Soundguy

/ Tractor Noob needs help #8  
20ac is decent.. I'd look for a bare minimum of mid 30's, and would consider that a small tractor... a better choice may be a 40's hp tractor, and even a 50hp is not out o fthe question.. i understand the JD 5103 is a decent deal.. but in any case.. check out all brands for dealer rep, price, etc.. In many cases, the small utility tractors ( 40hp and up ) can be had for a slightly better deal thant he scut and cut tractors.

How much mowing are you planning on doing/ size the tractor for that. 50hp gets you to a 10' mower..

Soundguy