tractor shopping

/ tractor shopping #11  
Hi,

Often, when a compromise situation comes up, the discussion drifts towards buying two of something, rather than one tractor as a compromise that may not give the result on the grass that you want.

AT first one thinks 'Man, that's a crazy idea!"

Now doing this takes more money, so if money is an issue...toss this idea out the window.

Suggestions include zero turn mowers, lawn tractors from Sears, and so on. The idea being you use the big tractor for the big jobs, and keep it off the grass as much as possible to minimize damage and maintain a better looking yard/lawn.

Having two tractors actually is pretty convenient. I have a B2910 and this year bought a BX2200. Using the smaller tractor for grass cutting saves hours from going on the larger tractor. I think over the decades I plan to use these tractors having two will pay off. The dollar-per-hour cost of using the smaller tractor is less than that of the larger tractor, since it cost less to begin with. Simplistic thinking I know...the larger tractor may cut faster than the small one... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It is also neat having the box blade on the bigger tractor and the landscape rake on the smaller one. And the mmm on the smaller tractor, just sitting there waiting to cut the grass as often as I like, with no delays or effort required before getting started.

Just an alternative thought... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ tractor shopping #12  
Just my humble opinion, but here we use a separate mower for the lawns (about 2 acres) and the tractor for pasture and utility. Lots of advantages. I've seen zero-turn 52" mowers for 5 grand new, but much cheaper used. They are light, VERY fast, get in anywhere and you don't have to worry about lawn marks from tires. You have a lot of lawn, so tractor hours mowing twice a week would be higher too. Easier to put the hours on a mower. Also the tractor would be available for use while the lawn is being mowed. Turf tires are not very good for utility around the property, either. Just my opinion, but it works well for us.

/ tractor shopping #13  
When you consider putting a MMM on a NH TC35 orTC40, you must also remember that a mid PTO is not standard on these units. It is a Dealer Installed Accessory and I think the cost is in the $350 to $400 dollar price range.

/ tractor shopping #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just my opinion, but it works well for us. )</font>

Actually, a lot of smart folks agree with you! Sure makes sense!