Tractor tire death

/ Tractor tire death #11  
We used to bring the lift down so it set just above the rim, and used a long clip-on chuck. Still hated doing split rims.
Jim

/ Tractor tire death #12  
We used to bring the lift down so it set just above the rim, and used a long clip-on chuck. Still hated doing split rims.
Jim

Small tractor dealership I used to work at would weld the split rings before inflating. Those tires were used on the forklift. When they needed repair, way cheaper to grind the welds off and reweld after repair than to cause an injury/death if the ring were to fail.

/ Tractor tire death #13  
Split rims killed a lot of people
Bill

/ Tractor tire death #14  
Split rims killed a lot of people
Bill

I used to watch my dad change those in the house garage when I was a kid...Was kept WAAAAY far away..They were a scary thing. Remember the occasional news report of a ring popping off and killing a pedestrian...Bad stuff.

/ Tractor tire death #15  
i have seen people put a couple chains around them

/ Tractor tire death #16  
I have mounted many many split rims in the past. Even without a cage you hook up the air and stand back. Control the air flow by a valve so you don't get over the rim.

I will hazard a guess the air hose was clipped on the valve stem and left to fill till the rim popped. If the air compressor was set to 200psi disaster was imminent.

So sad it happened.

/ Tractor tire death #17  
I met a Canadian guy one day back in the 90's when I was working Customs. I wasn't going to pop the question but he beat me to it and said "I know you are wondering what happened to me right"? He looked like his entire face neck and who knows what else lower was put in a fire and grafted back like a puzzle. He said he got hit by a flying tire in a shop that they told him later put him up into the roof rafters or bounced him off the ceiling I forget which. I said **** what was it a tractor trailer tire? "Nope it was a regular passenger car tire with one of those lock on inflation clips on the air line. Thats why i would just as soon sit down next to a tire and hold the chuck and never bothered with any clip ons. Too easy to get distracted and forget it's on there.
Wasn't it just a couple years ago they come out with something regarding those cheesy plastic cart wheels you can buy for $5 wheel and all? One of them popped the rim and tossed a shard of plastic into a guy and either killed him or did severe damage. Another reason why I like to toss on a grinding shield when doing that sort of stuff in iffy circumstances, grinding too. People think about their eyes and forget just how soft your throat area is. I always try to nod my head down even with that when grinding and such just in case.