Tractor type decision

/ Tractor type decision #1  

Muggs

My tractor experience is limited to many hours on my late father-in-law's 1960 MF-35 before it got sick, and one year with my son-in-law's 110 JD backhoe (before he sold it).

I want a tractor for moving round bales, bushhogging fence rows, and (w/tooth bucket) clearing brush and felled trees, some occasional manure and sediment clearing around the barn, and digging graves for the occasional dead cow.

I loved the hydrostatic trans. on the backhoe, and hated the standard trans on the MF (clutching kills my bad back). My research to date suggests that I can't seem to find a hydrostatic on a full-sized tractor so I am looking at the compacts.

Can a compact loader handle 1200' hay bales, and would it be as "tippy" as the backhoe is when bushhogging on slopes? I felt the wheels coming up with just a modest cross-grade movement.

Thanks in advance, my first posting, great web-site!

/ Tractor type decision #2  
I don't know where you are at or if there is dealer there but the Fendt 400 series has what is called a CVT transmission in as small as a 72 horsepower frame. A CVT has the best parts of both a manual and hydro. As the Fendt site explains. <font color="green"> The FENDT CVT combines hydrostatic and mechanical transmission elements to allow an operator to select the perfect speed for every application. It eliminates engine lugging and engine racing by automatically adjusting for the correct gear ratio at a desired engine rpm and ground speed, ensuring greater productivity and fuel efficiency. </font>

/ Tractor type decision #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Can a compact loader handle 1200' hay bales, and would it be as "tippy" as the backhoe is when bushhogging on slopes? I felt the wheels coming up with just a modest cross-grade movement. )</font>

A compact tractor can handle those round bales with ease. Just be sure you get a compact over 3000 lb and be ready to fill the rear tires with fluid for additional weight and low CG.

Many HST compacts from New Holland, Case, Kubota, John Deere, Massey-Ferguson and others will be able to do what you need. For a new model with quick-attach FEL, you need to be prepared to spend in the low $20k range. For used, you can expect to pay $15k to $18k. If you also want a backhoe, expect to add $6-7k.

/ Tractor type decision #4  
Can you give me a bit more things, like your lot size for bush hogging.
The tc 45 da is a good tractor with hydro.
Otherwise you can go for a tc 55 with EHSS (no clutching only to change gear while driving)
TN 60- 70-75.

I drive a NH tce (europe) and this transmission shifts very easy.
You can't compare the new shuttle shifts with the old transmissions

/ Tractor type decision
OK Guys, thanks for the responses.

Today, Sunday, I drove around the East Tennessee area of our farm/ranch (farm if you grow crops/ranch if you raise stock - I like Texas), making a final survey of JD 5105, MF 451, and Kubota 4340.

We have an inherited 100 acre farm in the hilly country of East Tennessee, and currently have 20 cows of mixed heritage and their 11 calves.

To refresh my earlier posting, I have to move round bales (baled by a third party), bushhog fence rows (same third party bushhogs entire place in the fall), bury dead cows, and work on fence rows.

After my limited experience and research, safety is primary (concerned with rollovers in East Tennessee hill country); necessary power next and comfort final.

I am about to decide on the JD 5105. The MF looks "old-fashioned" (and this is hard to say since the family always used "masseys"-we have a 1960 Deluxe 35 in the barn); and the Kubota looks "light". Prices are within $1000 - in the 24-26K area).

Plan to go visit JD tomorrow (if they are opened on MLK Day).

Opinions will be appreciated, will check this site before going out.............never bought a tractor before!

Thanks

/ Tractor type decision #6  
Test drive them all before you buy. It sounds like you need something that is comfortable for you to drive so you won't know unless you try them out. Not trying to influence your decision, but don't eliminate the Kubota because it looks "light". They are tough tractors and will do more than you may think. Something in the 40 HP range will probably meet your needs. A good dealer is worth a lot, as well. I hope you find the "right" tractor. Good luck.

/ Tractor type decision #7  
I was just visiting my Kubota/Case dealer today and talked a bit about my dream. Related to this post, he pointed out that the Woods FEL for a Case is not only cheaper than the factory unit, but will lift more and in this,um, case will probably be more stable since the Case FEL is designed to work around the Supersteer option on the NH versions.

He gave me a brochure about their FELs and among other interesting things is the fact that they have a number of attachments to fit the larger 4 models, including 2 different grapples, pallet forks, and a bale spear for round bales. You might want to look into Woods FELs and backhoes before you sign on the dotted line. Oh yeah, they come in the color of 4 or 5 different tractor lines or basic black.