Tractor Weight & SideWalks

/ Tractor Weight & SideWalks #11  
Let's think about this. My truck, with a load, weights about 6,000 lbs. I use a truck tire on it. The tractor weights about 3,500 with FEL, bucket full, me and a box scraper. The tires are wide on the rear and spread out the load. So, me thinks that a truck on the sidewalk gives more lbs per square inch than my tractor. I've never given it any thought, just went over them without concern and NEVER had a problem.

Turfman

/ Tractor Weight & SideWalks #12  
Keep in mind engine fluids as well.

As for asphalt, it is fairly plastic , and would most likely deform on the surface, rather than cracking.

For what it's worth, I drive my NH 1920 on my 1 year old driveway ( 3" 2000 psi concrete w/standard wire reinforcement, and fiber mix added )
Tractor is around 3700 with me and an implement on back.
The most I've done is leave black tracks on the concrete.
your millage may vary.
Concrete is very good about sustaining high psi loads, and problems usually only occour during flexing, torsion, or uneven loading near an edge or tip.
OTOH a 13 ton garbage truck HAS cracked my drive when they backed onto it... arrgh!

Soundguy

/ Tractor Weight & SideWalks #13  
Assuming you are using a concrete spec'ed for 3500 psi...

Soundguy

"Most exterior concrete is 3500# psi after 28 day's. If you do the math you can see there shouldn't be any problem. A few hundred pounds one way or the other probably won't make any difference. "

/ Tractor Weight & SideWalks #14  
Yes, what they are measuring is the ultimate compressive strengthof the concrete, and record what load was carried prior to failure.

Against a solid foundation, I would be surprised if 1sf of 4k psi concrete would not carry a 4k# load, with even distribution, w or w/o wire reinforcement.

""The design may use 4,000# concrete, that doesn't mean the floor will hold 4,000#/SF. It means ""

We also use fiber addatives for added durability to stress.

""sending to the job is for interior or exterior use because the concrete used for sidewalks and such are to be "air-entrained" to help avoid damage from Mom nature......................chim ""

Soundguy

/ Tractor Weight & SideWalks #15  
i leaned a trick when i was drafted into the US Army. while stationed in germany we had to take our tanks across roads and sidewalks of the real world, not in a training ground ... and if i understand this is what you want to do, go across not travel on the side walk?

the trick we learned and i am now using whenever i have to go across walkways with my landscaping equipment (cement, natural stone path etc) we use the same method as i learned from the US tankers, we lay down 2x12 by however long we need it boards and have been lucky so far to never damage anything.

good luck