Tractor won't start...

/ Tractor won't start... #1  

fireonthealtar

Hi all first post. I have a NH 1715 Was running fine 2 weeks ago when I parked it, but today when I went to start it I can hear the starter whining but the engine does not turn over. Also I was wondering if it could be a safety switch or something so when I engage the pto I get the same thing. Could this be the issue or any ideas on where I need to start.
Thanks
Chris

/ Tractor won't start... #2  
Sounds like you have a stuck or broken Starter Bendix. (This link is not in direct reference to your starter, part # etc.) Sometimes they just need cleaning a/o lubrication. It's easy to pull the starter off & check it out. Remove the negative battery connection first. Some bendixes are engaged directly by the solenoid & some by centrifigal force. If you don't have a dealer nearby, or even if you do, any starter/alternator shop can fix you up. MikeD74T

/ Tractor won't start...
Thanks Mike I will check this.
Chris

/ Tractor won't start...
OK...help out the mechanically challenged. I took two bolts out of the starter, why will it not come off? Shouldn't this be similar to a car?
Thanks
Chris

/ Tractor won't start... #5  
Unless there's another bolt I'd say the paint bond or rust if it's a tight fit is holding it in place. Put the bolts back in a couple of turns loose & give a whack with a rubber hammer or try a chisel between the starter & block. If you can't take it apart with a hammer it was never meant to be fixed ! Miked74T