Trailer/leaf vaccum

/ Trailer/leaf vaccum #1  

k9runner

Tractor
None yet
I've tried searching for "trailer vacuum", "leaf vacuum" and just plain old "vacuum" and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Is anyone using a tow behind trailer vacuum with their MF SCUT and if so, would you recommend it?

I've got a GC1705 with the 48" deck and mow about 2 acres; I've used a tow behind lawn sweeper the last two years and am not happy with it - it leaves lots of clippings in the yard and seems like it takes forever since I first have to mow and then go back over the whole yard with the sweeper. The other problem with the sweeper is the lightweight construction, I'd like to dump it out in the pasture - but the wheels/frame cannot handle a trip like that and it would just fall apart. So I end up having to dump it in the driveway and then use the FEL to scoop the clippings in to a real trailer, haul the trailer out to the pasture and rake everything out.

I'm considering the DR 9.59, the Agri-Fab 32 cu ft available at TSC or Northern Tool, or the Brinly-Hardy from Home Depot (which looks a lot like the Agri-Fab).

I'd love to hear from anybody who is currently using one, any issues, how hard was it to modify the deck adapter for the GC17xx, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

/ Trailer/leaf vaccum #2  
These things are universal, the fact that you have a MF isn't significant. As long as you can remove your grass deflector, the boot can be adapted. As a Cyclone Rake owner, I would suggest you add that to your list. It may cost a little more but if storage space is important, it can't be beat.

One thing to think about is whether you want a trailer or a rigid mount. The Agri-fab, Trac Vac and similar are trailers and the Cyclone Rake (and I think the DR) are two point (rigid) mounts. Both approaches have their advantages.

/ Trailer/leaf vaccum #3  
I just picked up a DR Lawn & Leaf Vac this fall. Still learning how to use it, but so far it seems to do pretty well. Had some issues attaching to the M-F MMM, but figured that out. Now, I need the 36" extension on the tube. Thought it would work (and it does), but it severely limits turns to the left so I'll add that extension. (Only need about 12"!!)

DR folks have been good to work with; since I live fairly close, I drove up to Vergennes to pick it up. (Of course, "close" is relative-- took me about 2.5 hrs to get there, as there are few east-west roads around here, but it's a nice time of year for a drive in the country.)

Some observations:

1) Engine is splash-lubed (no oil pump), so travel "is limited to no more than 15 degrees" according to the manual. Around here, flat ground is precious! I've taken it up to 18 degrees without issues, but only for short periods, a few seconds at most.

2) If you stop forward travel, it seems to continuously spit small bits out the back end, making a small pile on the ground under the back end until the leaf vac engine is shut off. (There may well be a remote kill switch in the future.)

3) The dump feature of the unit is fantastic. Easy to operate with the help of the hydraulic strut, and the shape & tipping angle of the box really dumps out very completely & quickly.

4) I'd say effectiveness, for relatively dry leaves, is about 98%. It leaves a few leaves behind, but not many. Was really impressed that it sucked up pine needles very well, too! I'm still breaking in the engine, so haven't really run it full tilt yet, however.

To make the mounting brackets fit to the existing four bolt-holes on the MMM, I just welded together two 1.5" wide 3 x 3 angle pieces and used one long rod (hardware store, $4), heated & bent on one end, then drilled for the keeper pins supplied by DR Power. Crude, but effective.

DSC05427.JPGDSC05424.JPGDSC05423.JPGDSC05405.JPG

Attachments

• DSC05399.JPG
    DSC05399.JPG
    616.2 KB · Views: 167
   / Trailer/leaf vaccum #4  
Just throwing out another option. I collect my clippings all season, but I have a complicated lawn with lots of obstacles, so didn't want to tow something behind me. Its got less capacity than tow behind at 14.5 bushels, but is quick dump from the seat via a lever over the left shoulder. Its powered from the rear PTO, no extra engine!

bagger.jpg

/ Trailer/leaf vaccum #5  
Neat! Who makes it? How much? I must say I really like the idea of not having one MORE engine to take care of!

/ Trailer/leaf vaccum #6  
Neat! Who makes it? How much? I must say I really like the idea of not having one MORE engine to take care of!

Sorry for the slow response...I do not seems to be getting any notifications about replies in thread or even PMs...on well.

Its made by Protero, its not cheap, just over $3K, and Protero isn't the best supplier to deal with (they will not deliver on time). BUT...it works well. Good suction, 8" hoses. only clogs if you get a stick stuck up there. Not sure exactly what material the hopper is made from...some sort of plastic, won't rot or rip. Has a couple of caster legs that go on when you want to remove it, works well on the slab of my shed.

Besides cost, the downside is that it really block your view to the rear. And of course, it doesn't fold down small when I store it for the winter. You also gotta be careful, because on most of these small tractors, the mower deck raises and lowers with the 3pt hitch. You gotta make sure you don't drop until the vac is dragging on the ground...

/ Trailer/leaf vaccum #7  
Thanks-- I was able to discern the name "Portero" on your pic, so checked it out.

Still using my DR vac, and have finally hit some snags-- Had leaves deep enough (and wet enough) that the 8" hose/deck adapter did back up and eventually clog. But I wasn't surprised, the leaves were really deep and really wet.

It does seem to work quite well otherwise, though while trailing it behind I can't get into tight spaces as much as I'd like to-- but not a big problem; I just use my backpack leaf blower to get leaves out of those tight spaces and into the open.

Contrary to operator manual suggestion, I did discover that it can, in fact, be backed up a short distance and re-directed to get into some tight spaces. It's a lot faster and most likely more efficient than using the leaf blower (certainly on a windy day!), so I guess I'm going to keep it.

BTW, out-the-door price for mine (the "Premier" --small-- model) was a tad over $1400, but I found that I did need the extension piece on the hose because on left turns the hose would pull off -- not quite long enough. Had to add about 18" of length, though that may get reduced later. Extension 8" x 36" hose was around $50.

/ Trailer/leaf vaccum #8  
If my yard was a little more open, or if I only used it for leaf season, a tow behind unit would be superior. Trac-Vac does have a PTO powered tow behind model if you want to avoid an engine, but its still a lot more money than a DR or Cyclone rake, etc.

/ Trailer/leaf vaccum #9  
I would love to get one of these too. Before the tractor I'd have to get the wife and 4 kids outside raking into piles, then onto a tarp I would drag 100 yards or so to the garden. Or get lazy and dump as mulch around the lilac bush in the front yard. Now we have goats and I can't help thinking how nice it would be to vacuum up grass clippings AND leaves to dump into a feed trough for them. Save us from buying so much hay, and they love the variety. Unfortunately I'm just using a small metal trailer with a plastic covered wood frame extending the walls about 4 ft, and a homemade bucket expander to haul leaves away after raking them up. Easier than the tarp method, but still takes 2 or 3 of us and several trips each time the lawn gets covered. I've done it 3 times already this year to keep them from getting too deep, and there are still green leaves on 2 of the 3 trees.

/ Trailer/leaf vaccum #10  
In the BTW Dept.-- That DR vac does pick up grass clippings quite well, as evidenced by the amount of grass mixed in with the leaves when I dumped it out. If that could be food for your goats, it might be well worth it. (For ordinary mowing, I just scatter the grass clippings and don't pick them up.)

Only issue I've found with dumping the DR machine is that the lower lip of the trailer, when in dump mode, comes very close to ground level. Almost need a ramp to back up onto, to get the lower edge of the hopper up a bit when dumping. It works fine on the first dump, but is a bit harder if the dumped pile gets higher/taller.

I also liked the fact that the canvas part can be removed, its frame collapsed, and can be stored using very little space. The engine section is also removable, and with the jack stand wheel option (it already comes with two small plastic wheels under the engine), can be wheeled inside for storage also. The trailer part is steel, heavy reinforced plastic, and rubber tires, so that can/will stay outside somewhere this winter.