Trailer Shocks Truck on Highway

/ Trailer Shocks Truck on Highway #21  
roughly the same as porpoising?

which i always thought was a function of poor shocks on the tow vehical and insufficient toung weight. Although ive also heard that WD hitch does a lot to help stop it but at the same time ive heard stories of people snapping the spring arms on WD hitches because of bad porpoising also.

edit

a little google searching seems to point the other direction... to much tong load and bouncing off the overload springs.

Last edited:
   / Trailer Shocks Truck on Highway
[QUOTEa little google searching seems to point the other direction... to much tong load and bouncing off the overload springs.
][/QUOTE]
Thats what I've experienced. Move the load forward and the problem gets worse. Move it all the way to the back and it either get better or goes away. Trailer tows straight no matter the load or where its placed.

/ Trailer Shocks Truck on Highway #23  
Hehehehehe no its Chev. However my guess is this problem wouldn't matter whats its attached to.
I went the same way back in May with a different trailer and didn't experience this problem at all.

I had it when i went to Belgium with a 3 axle turntable steered (haywagon style) trailer behind my brothers Mercedes Vito van. The expansion joints in the crappy Belgian roads were at the same distance as the distance between the trailers front axle and the tandem. The tires lost contact with the road if we went faster than 50, on a highway where 120 km/h is allowed (and towing at 80km/h)

I blame it on the road, but you can add shock absorbers to your trailer axles to change the spring frequency and stop the resonance.

/ Trailer Shocks Truck on Highway #24  
I just had the worst ride of my life last night. I am out on a trip and overnighted in Michigan and got a brand new Suburban 4x4. The road to the hotel was concrete, about 15 miles with joints about every 150'. The truck bounces awful and sounds like a drum inside. Makes me feel like I am in a 55 gallon barrel in a dryer.

I tried different speeds but could really not go any more than -5 or +5 to stay with traffic on the 4 lane road.

Chris

/ Trailer Shocks Truck on Highway #25  
Original quality, lack of maintenance, too many roads to keep up, lots of traffic/use.

I mean, some do get freeze/that, but that is in the mountains(Truckee, Yreka, Tahoe)

Some in SE part of the state, it is the sunshine. Get outside of Barstow, Palm Springs ect, the sun just bakes the roads at ambient 112F+.

I thinkit is mostly how their built and maintained.

What tears em up??? All that sunshine hehehhee.
I know what tears our up....constant freezing and thawing.