Transmission Oil Leak ... Can I Stop It?

/ Transmission Oil Leak ... Can I Stop It? #1  

vern6973

Tractor
J.D. 3120, X584, GT235 and a IH 606
Hi:

I've got an older 60 HP utility tractor that is oozing oil out of two places on the transmission. Does anyone know of products to put in or on the outside of the tractor (gasket making goop?) to stop the leaks. The transmission holds 13 gallons of oil this oil is used for the hydraulics also.

Vern In Ill.

/ Transmission Oil Leak ... Can I Stop It? #2  
Try to change the oil seal of the tractor. There may be some air leak in it. The oil will be valuable in your asset. So try to seal it.

/ Transmission Oil Leak ... Can I Stop It? #3  
Put a pan under it. If it doesn't leak too much just keep topping it off.
I've an '88 Ford diesel that's been leaking transmission fluid at the rate of about a bottle every thousand or so miles. That's about $5 I think. A new/rebuilt/fixed tranny is about $2K to $3K. Or about 400,000 miles of fluid. I'm REALLY wary of putting a leak stopper in a tranny.

/ Transmission Oil Leak ... Can I Stop It? #4  
might help to know what tractor. make / model, and location of leak!

usual suspects are input shaft leaks..

soundguy

/ Transmission Oil Leak ... Can I Stop It? #5  
Like soundguy says, need more info.
It could just be a loose bolt or any number of other items including seals.
A patch is just a patch and the fix might not be worth the trouble.

/ Transmission Oil Leak ... Can I Stop It?
Hello:

It's a 1966 International 606 Utility tractor, 60 HP, 6 cylinder gas. Eight speeds forward and 2 reverse ... it has a TA.

I've tighten all the bolts on the transmission. The leaks are coming from two rectanguler plates under the transmission. I guess the openings are for getting to certain transmission parts.

Vern

Leaking In Ill.

/ Transmission Oil Leak ... Can I Stop It? #7  
If they are just plates it would be easy enough to fix.
Catch the oil in clean buckets and make new gaskets.
Put a paint strainer in a funnel and put the oil back in.
Be sure and use a new hyd filter.
Its all going to be messy but thats the price you pay for DIY.

/ Transmission Oil Leak ... Can I Stop It? #8  
rarely that easy.. sounds like inspection plates for the dry section of the clutch housing.. which then likely means leaky rear main if engine oil.. or leaky trans input shaft seal if tranny fluid.

lots of tractors have weep holes or inspection plates in the bottom of the bellhousing..

soundguy

/ Transmission Oil Leak ... Can I Stop It? #9  
I agree. Drain the thing then take off the plates. If it is indeed leaking around them and they are inspection areas for the clutch you better fix it or you will be splitting the tractor to put a new clutch in pretty soon. Fluid on the clutch will ruin it in a hurry.

Chris