Trip Edge Spring Assembly Question

/ Trip Edge Spring Assembly Question #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I am going to do some rehab on an old Fisher plow and want to remove the trip edge springs, One of the spring assemblies has a rivet on the top of the bar which retains it on the plow. It can't see any purpose for the rivet but before I grind it off I thought it would be best to ask why it is there. I plan to use the rod thru the coil and turn with a pipe wrench to relieve the tension technique to remove the spring assemblies. Thanks

P1190724.JPG

gg

/ Trip Edge Spring Assembly Question #2  
What does the opposite side of the bar that the rivet is in look like inside the spring. Probably retains the spring. Bob

/ Trip Edge Spring Assembly Question #3  
The one time I had to work on mine I put it back on the truck and drove the trip edge gently into a concrete curb.
With the springs compressed mine had a hole in the bar to put a bolt thru and keep the spring compressed.
Then the assembly can be unbolted and removed, as far as getting the spring off the bar that was another story.

My spring had broken,
once I got the assembly off the plow I used my torch and cut several more coils till I could get the pieces off,
installing the new spring was an exercise in frustration.
I ended up notching some angle iron pieces to fit the bar, 2 for each end with bolts to keep the pieces from seperating,
then 4 pieces of all thread to use as clamp bolts and compress the new spring over the bar.
Good luck, there has to be an easy way but I don't know it.

/ Trip Edge Spring Assembly Question #4  
After I posted my reply I got to wondering a u-tube search found this video,
is this how you were planning on removing the spring from the guide bar?
It was to simple after the work I went thru a few years ago :confused2:
Yes the rivet was Fishers retainer once it's removed you can use a bolt in its place or nothing.
Fisher Snowplow Repaint Trip Spring Removal Reinstall Tip - YouTube

/ Trip Edge Spring Assembly Question
I don't think I will have trouble getting it off. There is a hole in the bar about 2" below the top of the spring. Just put a rod thru the coil and that hole and turn the spring with a wrench to "screw" it down into compression removing the pressure at the top against the plow. The bottom of the bar is bolted into an open clevis piece on the trip edge. Remove the bolt and bar and spring will slide down and out as an assembly except for that rivet which I want to cut off.

I just would like to know what they put that rivet on there for before I cut it off

gg