Truck size for gravel delivery?

/ Truck size for gravel delivery?
Y'all have provided some good insight on this thread! :thumbsup: I don't really need the driver to spread it as I need to work it into a parking area with my loader/boxblade. Don't want him messing up the lawn getting over there. Besides that, I want to have the fun of moving/placing it :laughing:

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #32  
I Wonder what the 120 yds I got weighed. I had it dumped into a big pile and spread it all with my tractor.

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #33  
crusher run is about 1.2-1.4 tons per yard (loose).

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #34  
I've got a mile long driveway and - after lots of mistakes - have finally figured what works for me. I should have put in some 2 -3 inch stone on the raw drive, then driveway gravel and then crusher run to lock it in. I didn't put down the big stone first and the stone I now use sinks into the ground after a few years. A box blade is great to keep it neat and make it last as long as possible.

One thing I haven't seen noted here is the quality of crusher run stone. Some quarries around here let a lot of dirt get in with the crusher run, some don't. The cleaner crusher run costs a little more generally, but is much longer lasting - and you get more stone by weight.

Had I to build my drive over again, I'd do it right and it would have saved me money in the long run.

With a good driver, I can put a thin coat of stone on one mile of drive with five tandem trucks - 20 - 25 tons each.

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #35  
If you have room for the truck to get in use a belly dump. They can haul 23 tons and spread it out in nice rows. I own a 12 yard tandem dump truck and if I was getting more than a couple loads for my self I would hire a belly dump. Around here for local stuff they charge $7 a ton to deliver. Most the crushed products can be bought for $11-14 a ton. So for around $20 a ton you get it delivered to you.

My driveway is about 500' long and is concrete but I have a large rock area for parking trailers, trucks, etc. it is probably 300' by 150' or so. When we built it we hauled in around a dozen belly dumps of crushed asphalt.

/ Truck size for gravel delivery? #36  
As to which rock to get. In Alabama we have mostly limestone, and most people here get washed rock for drives. Reason for washed is with the crusher run, which I made a mistake to get once, in the dry weather of Alabama in the summer the dust is BAD! When I got the crusher run, every time someone came up the drive it fogged my house with dust and my vehicles stayed dusty all summer!

The washed does move around more, but does not sink up as bad. Crusher run does make a smoother base and packs well, but is VERY dusty in dry weather.