Trying to attach a Massey-Fergus Model L Post Auger to compact tractor

/ Trying to attach a Massey-Fergus Model L Post Auger to compact tractor #12  
The brackets for the U piece are welded on.
Just make your own brackets and fasten them on underneath. Don't drill any holes just bolt then on with a clamp system. It doesn't even need to be overly robust as you can brace the clamp up against the top brackets.

I don't know how many holes you have to dig but it's almost sounding easier to go and dig the holes by hand.

/ Trying to attach a Massey-Fergus Model L Post Auger to compact tractor
Haha. Yeah, he is my wife's great uncle and lives over 100km away, and hist tractor is likely 10,000lbs, so even a car hauler wouldn't get it here.

I thought about building an extension...

I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I went out and took it apart and flipped the gear box so I could get more lift. But at 90% lift it over centers. Even if I was careful not to go past 90%, that geometry puts a lot of strain on things. The frame is so bent on it, I could barely adjust my lift arm enough to get it vertical. By the time I got it straightened, I only had about 70% lift before the one arm over centered.

While working on it, I also noticed that the gear box is cracked. I could try and weld it, but welding cast likely wouldn't take that well or be that strong. With my luck it would fly apart on the first hole I dig.

If it was mine, or he'd sell it for $100, I'd build a new frame as mentioned before, and take my chances with the gear box. But I think for now, I am officially done with it.

I did my best to save a buck, but I am just going to buy the Princess Auto (Canadian Harbour Frieght). They are $1000CAD which is half of what people are asking for used Frontier/Woods/Land Pride augers. For the 200 holes I do this year, it will be good enough.

Attachments

• flipped.jpg
    flipped.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
   / Trying to attach a Massey-Fergus Model L Post Auger to compact tractor #14  
Which leads to the next question. The owner hasn't used it in 30 yrs, will it attach to his tractor?:unsure:

/ Trying to attach a Massey-Fergus Model L Post Auger to compact tractor #15  
Since you borrowed the PHD, ask about borrowing his tractor too... 🤪 :ROFLMAO:
Has the tractor been started in the last 50 years? That could be a whole different can of worms!!!

/ Trying to attach a Massey-Fergus Model L Post Auger to compact tractor #16  
You could get the digger as high as it goes. Then a scoop or two with a shovel and you could pre-drill the hole by 6" and give you adequate clearance. A bit of a pain to use, but perhaps possible.

The cracked gearbox is another issue though. I wouldn't use it with the crack. So, a repair is probably in the future. Reinforce it too?

/ Trying to attach a Massey-Fergus Model L Post Auger to compact tractor
Haha, yeah he loaded it in truck with the old tractor. I think I have convinced the wife we can buy one.