Turf tire brands good & bad - personal experience

/ Turf tire brands good & bad - personal experience #1  

'52 8N

Tractor
Ford 8N & Ford 1920
Hi All, I am looking for replacement turf tires for the front of my Ford 1920 with 4 wheel drive. It currently has Titans. I was told BKT was made in India and good for the price. I was also told that Carlise was not that great and just over priced. Just curios what other people might have experienced. Primary use of this tractor is off road, meaning grass, weeds, and dirt use. It is set up for weed control on flat ground with a 5 gang mower in tow on about an acre and a half in and around trees and open field. Average use per week or so is depending upon growth is about an hour. Tire size is 27 X 8.50 X15. Thanks.

/ Turf tire brands good & bad - personal experience #2  
I have 2 types of Rear tires. R-1 on the 1963-2000 with Anti-freeze /water for extra weight. 2wd. FEL. and they work well. Haven't stuck it yet but almost thought I was pulling it out. Wet soil Backing up from a small tree. I got the saw out instead!! :rolleyes:
I have a true Rice patty tractor. With Org. Bridgestone. The Lugs are Huge! I had to reline them they're so old and dryrot. With the wet soil I knew I would make a big mess. In Ga. the soil is rock hard clay mix so I use it for mowing. When it's Dry no tire marks and the foot print with very little tread marks. But!! in wet soil it looks like a railroad track ran through it. No fluid weight needed. Not being 4wd. never had a problem in Level ground. I think Carlise is a comon brand and never heard anything neg. about them. I see the Small Yanmar 4wd. all the time. May look at what this Co. may have. So many models are 4wd. Esp. The Yanmar/JD. and see what they use on all the different models.
Fredricks Outdoor - New & Used Powersports and Agricultural Equipments Sales, Service, and Parts with locations in Decatur and Hartselle, AL

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 132

Attachments

• 1701703823079.jpeg
    1701703823079.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 195

/ Turf tire brands good & bad - personal experience
Well I do have Firestone R1 for my 8N. My 1920 has R3, Goodyear in back and Titan up front. When I was looking at a Kubota, I was interested in the R2. I purchased the 1920 with relatively new rear tires, about 1 year old. The front Titans are definitely more than that. Passenger side looks like it suffered from way too much camber and looses air over night. I only put 12psi in the tractor all around per Ford recommendation on the turf tires. I think that I am just going to replace the Titan with another Titan and call it good. This way when I look at the tractor, the tread pattern will be the same and it is also the same brand on the same axle.

I meant to type R4 for the Kubota.

/ Turf tire brands good & bad - personal experience #5  
plys used to make the tire carcass are a better indication of "quality" than selecting from any of the name brands.

Tread DEPTH also tells a lot.

You do get more when you spend the money on construction.

Just a quick note, I did replace my worn Titan tire with another Titan. A few reasons: matched the other tire on the front, American made, and 6 ply vs cheaper 4 ply. Eventually I will replace the other Titan, but it will be a while. The tread is still good to very good. It obviously does have some wear to it, but that is not an issue. The tire will probably dry rot before it would wear out. I do not know how old it is, but I should get a few years out of it. For what it is worth BKT - foreign 4 ply is/was the cheapest (over $100 - mid $100 ), Carlise - foreign 4 ply ( mid $100 - upper $100 ), and Titan - domestic 6ply ( about $200 ). Buy once, cry once and move on instead of regretting the purchase only to do it eventually and spend more money in the process.

/ Turf tire brands good & bad - personal experience #7  
I wouldn't get a 4 ply to replace the 6 ply. Even my Deere garden tractor came with 6 ply turfs on the front.