Mowing Turfs or R4s for Field mowing? - I've got both

/ Turfs or R4s for Field mowing? - I've got both #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Turfs or R4s for Field mowing? - I\'ve got both

I've got a set of each - started with R4's but they tore up my lawn. Dealer made heck of a deal on turfs so I bought a set.

My parent's just bought a "farm" in Maine - is it worth switching to the R4s for mowing (rotary cutter) the fields (8-10 acres)? Field is in good condition.

The R4s are loaded - 280# each. I've taken them off, but haven't tried on yet. Got lots of advice here on how to do that safely (thanks guys). Was only planning on switching for the winter - I've got chains that fit the R4s

/ Turfs or R4s for Field mowing? - I've got both #2  
Re: Turfs or R4s for Field mowing? - I\'ve got both

Hazmat:

If the field is mostly grass, with only some small woody stems showing up, your turfs should do fine. However, if the field has wet spots, the R-4's may keep you from getting stuck as quickly. Either will mess up the field with ruts if things are too wet. I bush hog my pasture with turfs (loaded) and only have to switch to 4WD in the soft spots. I try not to mow when they are too soft, or go around the soft spots until they dry out a little more /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

/ Turfs or R4s for Field mowing? - I've got both #3  

<font color="blue"> I've got a set of each </font>

Unfortunately Haz, neither will work /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif You'll need to get a set of R1s but be sure to keep all the other tires for other needs /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK, just kidding /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If it were me, and I had both, I'd put the R4s on. Never know what's lurking in those fields and the R4s should take more abuse than the turfs.

Of course, once you get it all cut, smoothed etc. you'll need yet another set... Galaxy turfs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Turfs or R4s for Field mowing? - I've got both #4  

R4's for all those sticks and other tire loving stuff.

/ Turfs or R4s for Field mowing? - I've got both #5  

<font color="blue">...is it worth switching to the R4s for mowing (rotary cutter) the fields (8-10 acres)... </font>

Go with the Industrials... unless you own stock in a tire plug company... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Unless your mowing just grass-grass... and not really "brush hogging" brush... those Turf's would be toasted FLAT prior to completion of mowing 10 acres...

Let me ask ya this... disregard the unit falling apart... but can you take a standard riding lawn mower and "mow" this 10 acre field without getting flats...? If ya can... then you have a Golf Course in the works...! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Turfs or R4s for Field mowing? - I've got both #6  

Stephen, would ya be willing to be a TBN researcher...? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You are the ideal candidate... and you already have all the tools...

1) Put Turfs on the rear and Industrials on the front (no need to engage MFWD on a flat field- & this eliminates any lead/lag front axle engagement problems)-mow the 10 acres in 2WD with this combination of tires...

2,3,4) Change your tire combo around each time you mow the 10 acres and YOU can report back and tell us what works best... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif