Two stage clutch mayhem.

/ Two stage clutch mayhem. #1  

6shotz

Tractor
Branson 2810
I have a little Branson 2810 (28hp) which I bought new in 2002. I really like it but it has given me (so far)an unsolvable clutch issue. I have posted this issue in the Branson thread several times over the years as I have tried resolving the it. I have talked to various dealers also. I am putting it out in the "general" forum hoping for some new information.
I'll try to make this long story short. 😉
This tractor has 850hrs. on it, it has a two stage "belleville" style clutch. The PTO disc has very minimal wear (looks great), the main drive disc has "sheared" the spline teeth out of its center hub several times (true story). This last fail the clutch hub is fine but all the rivets sheard off clean!
I have replaced the whole clutch assembly the first time, then just the drive disc. I have checked flywheel run-out (.003-005" overall), replaced pilot bearing, throwout bearing, transmission input shaft., verified correct free-play in the linkage, etc.
I have since converted to orange as this really is hard to take. I don't need the Branson for my day-to-day use anymore but sure would like to figure this out.
Hopefully someone out there will recognize this issue and be able to share some wisdom with me.
I'm now retired but have been turning wrenches my whole life, both for myself and professionally. I have had a good reputation for doing things meticulously and right but this one has me beat.
I must be missing or overlooking something here? IMG_7740.jpegIMG_7739.jpegIMG_7758.jpegIMG_6339 2.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Two stage clutch mayhem. #2  
dial indicator on the shaft out of the engine and shaft for the transmission. Sounds to me like something is machined out of round causing the splines to wear out and in this case break all the rivets.

/ Two stage clutch mayhem.
dial indicator on the shaft out of the engine and shaft for the transmission. Sounds to me like something is machined out of round causing the splines to wear out and in this case break all the rivets.
Gonna check pilot bore relative to flywheel OD.
I have checked run-out on flywheel and trans. output shaft. and it was fine.
What you're saying makes sense.