Universal 640 dtc head gasket?

/ Universal 640 dtc head gasket? #1  

Tiberiusx

Tractor
Nuffield 460/Massey ferguson 50
Hello, thought I'd post an observation I had on my 640 dtc ( same as some long,white tractors not exact on their models) anyway.. It has run well for past few months and it never got too hot even in the the dog days of August .
I was looking to clear some snow this past weekend so I plugged the heater in and got her goin... Ran well but started to notice the temp rising... It never got out of green ( I know that doesn't mean much but that's the reference I went by) so I made my way back to my shop and parked it.. I then noticed that I had been sending coolant out of the overflow tube... Not good ... Opened rad and filled about a jug of antifreeze
Took my infrared thermometer and checked the block temps and they were around 150-160 f ( I know it's the external block temp so let's add 20 odd degrees) no milky oil, no whit smoke, been to cold to check for bubbles in rad.. So have any universal ,long etc owners had similar issues? I plan on doing the rad cap,t stat. Rad was cleaned thoroughly in fall..
If it turns out to be head gasket do you always have to get the head shaved/checked? Or are they pretty resilient is this a huge job.. Seems there are two separate heads..
Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to give a complete picture ...thanks

/ Universal 640 dtc head gasket? #2  
We have smaler tractor with 3cyl Romanian engine. Never had head problem before.
If it has 2by2 heads, I doubt that's need to aligne the heads.
BTW, it can't be that both heads will be bent. Just replace a gasket, and check heads when they're down.
Find a place where the compression pass, and find that place on the head side.

As the heads will be down, check are the valves tight.

/ Universal 640 dtc head gasket?
Thanks for the reply. I've done some more work ( been hanging around -22c) so it's a slow go. But I've ran the tractor with no rad cap and could not see any bubbles .. A good sign the rad cap I took off does look suspect though image.jpgimage.jpg
The crack in it might explain the coolant loss .
Swapped the t stat and added another coolant temp just in case. Ran the tractor for over an hour and temp stayed low and no coolant loss so fingers crossed I'll be running it some more when the weather is more cooperative..

/ Universal 640 dtc head gasket? #4  
Cheap repair then :)
Good news.