Buying Advice up close on a 2038r

/ up close on a 2038r #1  

SI2305

Gold Member
Hello all,

Lately the 2038r discussions have seemed like discussions of a unicorn, almost mythical and only seen from a distance but never up close. My local dealer finally got a 2038r on the lot and I got to get up close and personal with it. I have to say that the 2038r is a HUGE step up from my current beloved 2305. The 2038r is a considerable tractor, really approaching and maybe even matching the overall frame size of the 3 series but lacking a 3-range tranny. The cockpit is very comfortable but is much higher up than my current 2305 as is to be expected. I personally appreciate the right-side fender instrument panel and the loader control is nicely tucked into the same area, giving a nice, positive short-throw action hydraulics without the loose play normally associated with the longer floor mounted control rod on my 2305. Another improvement is the fuel tank situated on the rear left fender, giving much more convenient access over the hood mounted fuel tanks of my 2305 and numerous other tractors in older JD lines.

In addition, my wife has taken (I think) a very reasonable approach to new equipment. At present we are looking at a zero turn mower (from JD of course) to mow our yard obviating the need for a MMM, a huge swap from the current RFM I have mowed with for years. This leaves the 2038r as a pure utilitarian option. From the few minutes I spent on the 2038r I can attest to it being a very substantial CUT. Really, from a frame standpoint it is quite close to a 3 series (though lacking in a 3 range tranny). My plans for it would be mowing our grass acreage (5-6 acres of tall grass and weeds) on a more frequent basis. I already mow this acreage with my 2305, but at a once-per-year rate rather than the roughly once-per-month rate my wife would like. For this task I want to swing a 6' rotary cutter. In addition, I would want a 5-6 ft flail mower with a hydraulic offset for mowing under bushes (mostly autumn olive/Russian olive around the field areas), and for maintaining trails through the tall grass (won't be so tall after being mowed every month). Other implements include a 5-7 foot grader blade for clearing snow from our 450' driveway, possibly a box blade for driveway maintenance, and a grapple for handling piles of branches/clippings from the abundant bushy growth that surrounds our yard and much of my field area.

Part of my reasoning for going with this tractor is that I have back issues exacerbated from the rough ground of my field area and I hope that the overall tire size and frame size will minimize the rough jostling from very uneven field area. At one point, my purchase would come with a MMM, but as my wife has green-lit a zero-turn mower for yard-mowing and once seeing the 2038r, I think that it is just too big and heavy for yard-mowing. My time-frame for acquisition is about 1 year, though if my wife really wants our field area mowed regularly, a spring purchase is not out of the question.

Given the amount of money we will have to pony up, this is no small consideration--essentially adding the value of a nice car. I would love to hear from others about their thoughts/experiences on a 2038r. I am strongly attracted to the 30 PTO HP that allows a nice range of possible rear attachments. For the flail mower, I am planning on a Woodmaxx model. I do have a flail mower on my 2305 and it is amazing--cutting tall, rough material and leaving it looking like it was finish mowed and now it is hard for me to imagine having a CUT now without a flail mower.

Since I first bought my 2305 about 12 years ago, I have always relied on TBN for sound input/advice. This is certainly not a purchase I will make lightly, and given my history of back pain, I hope this is a remedy for the present excessive jostling (the 2308r does have a suspension seat) and a tractor that is a good value for the work I need to do on a regular basis. Additionally, I want this to be my last tractor purchase so I am aiming for a tractor with expansion capabilities. I am considering an additional rear hydraulic control for the offset flail mower and of course a 3rd function valve for a grapple. To summarize, my main task will be bush hogging and trail maintenance (about 50% of the use and thus needing a rough cut and a flail mower) with branch cleanup/woods management (grapple) and driveway maintenance (Grader blade and possibly box blade) making up the second 50%. I would love to hear other's thoughts, and especially, if anyone out there owns a 2038r, I would love to have their input as well. Just for info, when we buy, I doubt we will finance, instead I would trade in my beloved little 2305 plus implements (I WILL miss that little tractor. A huge amount of tractor in a very small frame).

I thank you all very kindly in advance for any thoughts you may have and if any of you actually own a 2038r, I would love to hear your thoughts and comments.

SI2305
JD2305, Loader, 5' RFM, 4' rotary cutter, 4' BEFCO flail mower (incredibly awesome!) 5' grader blade mostly for snow removal, 4' box blade, subsoiler

/ up close on a 2038r #2  
I wish you well on your future purchase and I'm sure that another 2038r owner can advise you.

:thumbsup:

/ up close on a 2038r
Thanks for the quick reply Wagtail

/ up close on a 2038r #4  
SI2305, re your back trouble. What sort of sear suspension do you have now? If it is mechanical then I would suggest you look at getting an air sprung seat, huge difference. If there is space on the 2038r could a seat with lateral and fore-and-aft damping as well (professionals seat) be fitted? Your back will appreciate this type of seat when on rough ground or towing a heavy trailer and being shunted 3 ways at once.
I injured my back many years ago and this is the sort of seat I needed to drive tractors comfortably.
Good luck which ever way you jump.

/ up close on a 2038r
Redman135,
Right now I have essentially zero seat suspension. I did add a newer seat to the 2305 that provides better lumbar support, but the little rubber cushions for the seat are totally shot. I did not know that JD offered an assortment of seats. The 2038R does have a fairly comfortable high-back seat with lumbar support and arm rests, but I think that the suspension was vertical and not the fore-and-aft type you are mentioning, but again, this is one of those areas where I am totally open to suggestions.

/ up close on a 2038r #6  
These seats are on the large, drive all day(12 hr shift, plus) tractors.
It may be that your tractor is physically to small to fit this type of seat, hopefully not. I have not seen a 2*** series JD to know.
Your dealer should be able to help.

/ up close on a 2038r
redman,

I do think that my 2305 is at its limits for seat cushioning, but I am hopeful that the 2038r's suspension seat along with its much larger tire size and overall frame size will lead to a much smoother overall ride.

Incidentally, as I am now in the market for all new implements, one item I will be needing is a new rear cutter. I would really like a 6' rotary cutter and I think that the 30 PTO HP would be plenty. However, I spoke with an Everything Attachments rep and he said that a 6' PTO HP would only be marginal for their 6' cutter and that I would be better served by a 5' cutter. The EA cutter is very nice and slightly cheaper than the Frontier equivalent. My Deere dealership is confident that a 6' cutter would be just fine. I am not entirely sure who to believe. The EA cutter looks more substantial than the Frontier so for a cheaper price I would certainly want a better cutter. Does anyone here know if the 2038r is adequate to power a 6' cutter, or does anyone have any knowledge suggesting that the EA cutter might require more HP than the Frontier model? I don't really have a brand preference, so I will buy whichever is priced best and/or better built but I would hate to buy to large and not be able to power the thing.

Thanks in advance,

SI2305

/ up close on a 2038r #8  
5HP per foot width is typically all that is required for PTO implements other than in the most extreme conditions.

/ up close on a 2038r #9  
I've got about 10 hours on my new 2038R. Loving it. eThrottle is great, controls are great, love the grapple I got from EA. No complaints so far. Running a 6' Box Blade, and am planning on trying a 7' Land Plane from a bigger work tractor. Got the integrated dual rear scvs, and installed the WR Long third function kit for the grapple.

/ up close on a 2038r #10  
I've got about 10 hours on my new 2038R. Loving it. eThrottle is great, controls are great, love the grapple I got from EA. No complaints so far. Running a 6' Box Blade, and am planning on trying a 7' Land Plane from a bigger work tractor. Got the integrated dual rear scvs, and installed the WR Long third function kit for the grapple.

Please report back with how well that 7' LPGS works out for you. Pictures would be great. Seems a bit big to me, but you don't know without trying. ;)