UPDATE: ym 2000

/ UPDATE: ym 2000 #1  

capt1989

Tractor
Yanmar ym2000
Hello all,

Back at work so now I have time to post.;)
Took the tractor to the property by way of the highway. 10 miles one way.
the wife told me that right after my daughter took this picture she said that dad really looks like redneck. That's my girl.

assorted076.jpg

Anyway, got to the property and took in what I was about to attempt. Having never owned a tractor or done any bush-hogging I was looking forward to the task with cautious optimism. Here are some before pictures.

assorted082.jpg

assorted081.jpg

assorted080.jpg

assorted078.jpg

Mind you, I am holding the camera over my head to take these pictures.

And here are the after pics.

assorted025.jpg

assorted015.jpg

assorted012.jpg

Now for the details...3 hrs into the job I started to notice steam from the blow-by tube. Only one reason for that. Even though the tractor was still running fine, I borrowed brothers trailer and took it home. After it cooled some, I drained a little oil into a plastic cup. Sure enough, got some coolant first, then oil. Figured it was a busted gasket. Called RCO and told James what was going on. They offered to pick it up and fix it and bring it back no charge. Since my time was limited,after some negotiation and reasurrances on both sides, I did the work myself which allowed me quicker access to the tractor when repaired. This also gave me the benefit of knowing what shape the head, valves, combustion chamber etc.. were in. Fast forward a couple of days [waiting on head gasket and water pump gasket] back in the field and went to work. 6 hrs into it the tractor started to run hot. I had been cleaning the screen in front of the radiator religiously and was frustrated by this development. I trailered the tractor back to the house and called RCO again. Again, they were going to pick it up and fix it. About that time my brother came over and looked thru the front grill of the tractor, came inside and told me that the radiator was clogged up. I told him he was nuts because I had been cleaning the screen alot. But he was right. It was about 70% blocked.
Grass seed, pollen, dust, whatever it was it went THRU the screen and clogged the cooling fins. Hosed it clean and ran it half an hour hard and it ran fine and didn't over heat. Felt like an idiot. Called RCO back and explained the situation so they didn't have to pick it up. I believe in being honest. It is how I was raised.

Back in the field again. Worked the tractor hard. I mean hard. In places, while sitting on the tractor, the brush and saplings were 4 to 6 feet higher than me. So thick in places that all I could see was the front of the tractor and nothing else. Engine rpm between 2000 and 2200.
Slow work, to be sure, but there was nothing in that field that stood up to the tractor. I can't tell you how impressed I am with this tractor. If anyone is on the fence about purchasing one, in my opinion it is well worth the money. Some of the remains of the saplings measured between 2 and 3 1/2 inches. Most of this was done in low gear/1st gear. 13hrs for about 3 1/2 to 4 acres. It was really hot as I had blisters on my forearms at the end of the second day.
Overall, I had a blast, learned alot and enjoyed my yanmar extensively. I believe that RCO did their part to honor the warranty that came with the tractor. Whoever you decide to buy from, the tractor is worth it. Next days off, I get to learn how to work a box blade.

John

/ UPDATE: ym 2000 #2  
I love hearing about little tractors taking out the big stuff......congrats....

now on to some serious issues.......dude.......wear a long sleeve shirt.......lol....you protect your ears and "red-neck" from the sun, with your hat, take care of them arms......long pants too.......I know when I'm shredding, occasionally, while running over woody stemmed plants, I get a few small chunks in the calf.....

/ UPDATE: ym 2000 #3  
10 miles one way , you do that a lot and you will need some tires on it . the road will eat them tires in a hurry. nice tractor have a lot of fun with it.

/ UPDATE: ym 2000
"now on to some serious issues.......dude.......wear a long sleeve shirt.......lol....you protect your ears and "red-neck" from the sun, with your hat, take care of them arms......long pants too.......I know when I'm shredding, occasionally, while running over woody stemmed plants, I get a few small chunks in the calf....."

I was so covered with dust that I didn't notice the burn until late in the day. I am still peeling. And yeah, I was lucky that I didn't get hit with large debris. I did manage to pretty much destroy the pto shaft guard though....

"10 miles one way , you do that a lot and you will need some tires on it . the road will eat them tires in a hurry. nice tractor have a lot of fun with it."

You know, you notice a lot of stuff that you normally miss when going down the road at 10 mph....... thanks for the info excessive wear from the road, I was not aware of that.

Thanks for posting!

John

/ UPDATE: ym 2000 #5  
I have the EXACT outfit of tractor and Howse BH. I have been amazed as you were. Anything that tractor can push over that BH will eat!

/ UPDATE: ym 2000 #6  
Off topic . I would love to see everyone that has a tractor purchase a R.O.P.S. for their tractor installed & used . Giz , You see a R.O.P.S. on my 3110 let's see one on your 3110

/ UPDATE: ym 2000 #7  
Coyote said:
I have the EXACT outfit of tractor and Howse BH. I have been amazed as you were. Anything that tractor can push over that BH will eat!
I also have the exact same setup, If that is a 5ft. Howse. My Yanny is a BD though.